Nirtite- 0
Nitrate- 20
TDS = 220 just before a water change, drops to about 150 after
drop checker green
8 Oto's, 20 or so CRS, 6 Pygmy cories
2- Ecoxotic E-120 lights, set to 6 hours @ 100%
substrate- Ecocomplete

Ok...pics below, let me explain the couple issues:

The DBT seems to grow "up and out", rather than spreading. Dennis Wong's Utube videos suggest less then optimal CO2 for this. At current levels (using charts and CO2 drop checker, I should average about a low of about 20ppm to 30ppm, depending on pH).....not using root tabs. I am getting some stringy algae in the DBT's as well. One pic you can see it.

Now, the stargrass seems to grow well, I trim it and replant the cuttings, and I get these white root-like extensions.....what do I do with them? The stargrass seems "leggy" to me, but grows well.

Water Sprite grows like mad for me, but its an easy plant.....trim it, replant it, the stuff almost reaches the surface again in a week.

Mermaid weed- leggy, reaches the surface, but when i trim and replant, doesnt seem to grow well.

The critters in the tank seem to do ok at current CO2 levels....no die-off (thats good!), they are active, and dont gulp for air. I can raise the CO2, but I also dont want to kill them all!

I do weekly water changes of 50%

Pretty new to planted tanks, so, please let me know!

Now, pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
About DBT - you planted way too big clumps. The best would be planting them one by one, every little plant separately. With such a big clumps it can't spread nicely, some may even rot away.
About stargrass - it tends to produce roots like that, I would cut it, throw away lower part and replant upper part, just do it regularly.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I agree with Nel but unless you have more patience than anybody in the country you will not be able to plant individually.What you can do is take those clumps out cut into 4 or 6 pieces and plant about an inch or so apart.Check your ph before co2 comes on and after a few hours of it starting and shoot for about a 1 point difference and make all changes slowly and when you can observe the fish.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About DBT - you planted way too big clumps. The best would be planting them one by one, every little plant separately. With such a big clumps it can't spread nicely, some may even rot away.
About stargrass - it tends to produce roots like that, I would cut it, throw away lower part and replant upper part, just do it regularly.
fortunately, tonight is a maintenance night! I will cut the clumps and replant (the DBT's)......as for the stargrass, yea, I will cut the live tops, replant....how often is regularly?

Bump:
I agree with Nel but unless you have more patience than anybody in the country you will not be able to plant individually.What you can do is take those clumps out cut into 4 or 6 pieces and plant about an inch or so apart.Check your ph before co2 comes on and after a few hours of it starting and shoot for about a 1 point difference and make all changes slowly and when you can observe the fish.
Ive 4 children, so while I have SOME patience, it certainly isn't endless! Will replant them tonight into smaller clumps, thankyou!

As for CO2.....mine never comes off. Its controlled by a controller. My range between my on/off points is .15 points.....so, yea, I can certainly cut it down a bit to a range of .1....that would even out the CO2 levels and still likely not mess with the livestock. Will play a bit with that tonight and try and maintain a more stable CO2, closer to our 30ppm goal.
My CO2 is controlled via a controller (CarbonDoser from Aquariumplants (electronic, so no bubblecount really), and a solenoid....I like redundancy!). I just let the controller do its thing, 24 hours a day, lights on or lights off.
I have pretty good circulation.....2 Hydor nano heads, and my 2 spraybars shooting across the top, then it hits the glass, and circulates down, so, I figure the DBT's get quite a bit of CO2.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

I broke the DBT's apart and replanted them....they look pretty sad, actually. When I pulled them to separate though, there did seem to be quite a bit of dead brown "stuff" where the roots normally would be. The leaves are small, and branching. Maybe I let them go too far, bunched up as they are, and I caused irreparable damage to the root system.....time will tell, I guess.

In other news, I can grow water sprite like no-ones' business! Its in the rear and sides of the tank, I prune it when it hits the surface...usually in a few days. Oh, and the WS doesnt shade the DBT's........

Mermaid weed isnt doing much for me....the leaves are getting feathery, but vertical growth is weak.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Try increasing your CO2 a little. Not sure how you do so using the probes, but it may help all the plants. Maybe try directing a bit more flow towards it as well.
Nutrients are obviously not the issue cus EI, and lights are usually not the issue, so I would look at CO2 and flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit did the stupid quote thing on the app again instead of editing sorry.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, Opare!
How do I determine my CO2? Well, a few ways. One, using Tom Barr's chart for dKh and pH. Secondly, a drop checker. Thirdly, by not killing my shrimp and fish! Now, according the the charts, I am between 26 and 31 ppm CO2, all life seems pretty active....no die-offs or fish gasping at the surface......yet. I can possibly slowly raise the CO2 by lowering my pH somewhat, maybe by .05 units at a whack. I am just a bit leery of doing so with my tank inhabitants. My circulation is actually pretty good. I am pretty sure it isnt light either.....leaves us with ferts and CO2.......I'll give it a short bump down, see what transpires!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and now, a picture....a bad one, but evenso (please excuse the pic...its from my cellphone- but it does kinda show what im talking about).....this is a closeup of a frond of stargrass....see the black end? they get these little diagonal "breaks", then the end turns black. I think its due to the "break"....they do seem fragile. Now, online, I find that it might also be due to not enough CO2. Im playing with that, but, with a pH of 6.55 (low controller setting) to 6.55, most charts indicate I am well into the 40's-50's ppm of CO2. My dKh is 6-6.5. Nothing is gasping (yet), the almost worthless drop checker is blue-green when the lights and CO2 come on, bright green after a couple hours of running. My non-CO2 pH is 7.11-7.2, and thats after the tank sits with no CO2 addition for about 18 hours. Photoperiod is 6 hours. Lights are 2 sets of Ecoxotic E-120's, daylight mode at 100% of all colors.
Also, please ignore the green thread holding my Christmas Moss to the mopani.....the white dots are superglue....a failed Fessidens Nobilis experiment.....
If it help, the stargrass grows well, but mine is very leggy.....grows right to the surface. I dont think its ferts.....liquid dosing EI as per NilocG. As for fish damage....all I have are Sakura shrimp, Pygmy Cories, and Otos.

So, any new ideas? it bugs me enough to want to pull out the stargrass. I find I am really good at growing water sprite though! And its good cover...that also climbs to the surface in a week.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.