The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I realized the cross brace on my 36"long by 24" High and 10" wide. It spilt on one side. i noticed a slight, very slight bowing of only the front panel. Please any help or advice, please! I dont want about 43 gallons on my floor, upstairs.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
hmmm. Not a huge problem, and is fixable with a little know how and elow grease.

Why don't we start with a picture of the damage.

Also, if completly paranoid that the glass is going to come flying out...you can drop your water level a bit to decrease some of the pressure on the glass.

If you happen to have any kind of woodworking clamp (like a quick grip), you can use these to give it just a little more stability in the middle. (these will also come in handy if you need to make a repair).

But the picture is the start!!

You'll be fine...will walk you through this sucker.

(FWIW...I just did this exact repair a week ago on a 50 gallon)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
please I would like to know how!:bounce: Here is an image.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Wow...thats a big break. Ok...looks like your only real option here is to cut it out competly and make a repair piece.

I am going to find you a link to a guy who just did one. i can walk you through this, but this guy had full color renderings...was pretty sweet.

Let me find the link and i will post it up. we will go from there.

the biggest thing here...It seems to have cracked along the seem right at the molding joint on the glass. This is going to be tricky to mend. Is there any "meat" left where it broke? Or is there nothing? See if you can post a picture of the molding where it broke off from.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesnt have any meat to grip on frame. I took about 30-40% of water out bowing got lessened! But I cannot run my filter, only my heater and im now adding an air pump and bubble diffuser. too bad this happened today not yesterday since today I got two new fish. Doh!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw it when I was uncovering the top to insert the new fish.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Well...is there any way to get the filter working? this is not a quick fix and will take a bit of time. First off did you see that link I posted above?

This is bascially what we need to attempt, but since you have nothing to patch too, we are going to have to modify this a bit...I need to think about this for a little bit.

The lip that your frame sits on...what is the length of that? perhaps we could use that if its got enough...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe that I am going to move the livestock to a new plastic garbage can and swap out tanks with a new one, since I wouldnt be able to Sleep at night... Thanks for the link, I would attempt it but I wouldnt be confidident in it. Thank you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It IS only 2 large new cichlids, and 5 baby cichilds. It isnt too populated, so this wont be too much of a problem only a pain. Thanks for all the quick help, now I can breath again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My lfs doesnt carry them in stock, maybe they will ship one. How would I replace the ring?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Same thing happened to me about 7 weeks ago. I ended up replacing my tank. It took me a week to replace it, so in the meantime, I drained to to 60%, and it was OK for the week.

·
Registered
159 Posts
the same thing happened to my 45, but i think someone actually tried to lift it using the center brace. i bought the tank used and it was already broken. i took some 50lb picture hanging hooks, and 50lb picture hanging wire, i cut off a part of the hook and bent it so that they would hook over the rim of my tank, then connected them with the wire and doubled it back, and twisted it up. before it was filled with water, the wire actually pulled the walls in 1/8", now that its full, it only bows out 1/8" which is totally normal. all tanks bow slightly.

use at your own risk, lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel safer and would can afford a new tank. It would allow me to sleep at night!lol and it's and excuse to make it a slightly larger tank! =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts