The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my aquapod 24g, it use to be saltwater but i got a bigger SW tank and with this one i ripped out the back chambers and now use an emperor 280 for filtration.
it has 1 koi angel fish 3 cory cats, 4 tetras.
Can i add 3 more small koi angel fish?

anyways i want to make the tank look nicer maybe with more plants or arranging the differently.
I do not have much natural artistic ability sadly so i need all the help i can get.
Also whats the best plat food, right now i dose with API leaf zone.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
My opinions:

Perhaps 1 more angelfish, 4 total would be way too many in a 24g. You have to take into consideration how big they will get.

WRT the scape: I find that adding some stems added height and variation very easily. They grow easy enough. Ludwigia repens is one I have had good success with. Also maybe look into some low growing foreground plants.

I have 2 angelfish like yours there and 2 black marbles in a 55g.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Would this local fish store be Petco? cause the one in my town trys to pass these off as aquatic plants as well.....
I had them for maybe a month or two before they started to just wither away. May as well get some soil and a pot and stick them in a window still.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Dracaena is definitely not aquatic, in fact not even a bog plant. Trust me, I am a member of Master Gardeners.:wink: Let me suggest planting some Val for a vertical accent, maybe a low foreground plant where the Dracaena is now.

A lot of non-aquatic plants are sold as aquarium plants. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Some other non-aquatics commonly sold as aquarium plants include spathiphyllum, peacock fern, Hypoestes (Freckleface), Hemigraphis (Waffle Plant), Syngonium - those are the ones I can think of right now, but there are others.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Unfortunetly, regardless of how reliable the store is, non-aquatic plants are sometimes advertised as aquatic when they're really not. It's very frustrating that they can trick people into believing it.

No big deal though - just remove them, or if you really want, just wait until they rot. I think almost EVERYONE on this forum started out with a few non-aquatics, so don't feel like it's a big deal. ;)

I would send you some plant trimmings for free, but i don't think they would get past the border...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Non-aquatic plants sold as aquatic are really annoying. Here's a little list I found http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=11. A lot of times you can tell without knowing the specie:
Does it hold its shape out of the water; most aquatic plants don't. Does water bead on leaves because it has protective wax to keep itself hydrated; most aquatic plants don't have to protect themselves that way.

Anyway, for your scape I would do two things that I personally think would look nice. Give it a grate and add some HC, Glosso, Riccia, or baby tears for foreground.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Everything but the sword is non-aquatic. It is a redo as is, as said, they will slowly die. It is irratating because I have wasted money but a good friend almost quit because he kept buying different varities of non-aquatic plants after they continued to die and quit the hobby. He just couldn't believe these facts as the store as "reputable" stores sold them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.