The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my female betta community tank today when I noticed one of my girls is... how to explain? Her body is thin like she's not been eating, but her belly is so disdended... I'd think she was pregnant if it weren't for the odd lumps that make her assymetrical. (there is also a male in the tank)

She has her horizontal lines showing (a sign of stress and non-wellbeing), and is otherwise extra pale. her fins are... somewhat clamped.

Another worrisome feature of this is that I recently had another female die, and when I picked her out, a gentle pressure on her gut made her... "pop"

I've currently got the newest possibly ill fish separated and am treating for bacteria... (no outward signs. could be parasitic...)

I guess the question is: Should I just euth her now?

I always get all... emotional when I have to do that. for some reason it's not so bad when they die on their own. :(

Oh, I have only had this particular fish about four months. she never did get as big as the other girls, who rival the male in size.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is it possible to isolate her? (Do you have a quarantine tank/spare tank?)

I never put down my fish, even if they are in the worse condition, I'd rather continue treating and let them live naturally.
I've thought of euthanizing a betta once and he was able to come back twice as strong. I called him "Hard-to-Kill"

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are her scales standing out like a pine cone when viewing her from above? If so, she has Dropsy (kidney failure). I had 2 females die from this. You might try a Methylene Blue bath for 30 min...if you kept the cup she came in, it would be only one drop of Methylene Blue in the cup with water from her tank. Place her in there for 30 min only (after bath dip her out and return her to the tank...dump "bath" water...MB will kill plants)! Keep her quarenteed in a seperate tank. I added 1tsp of Epsom Salt for every 5g to the tank, and 1tbsp of Aquarium salt for every 5g...changed 1-2g of water daily. One of the females started to improve, but due to a death in the family, I missed treatment for 4 days and she passed. The other female I did not use Aquarium salt, and she only lived for 1 week after onset of symptoms. I also used RO instead of treated tap water in her case. Keep her tank warm...both females "ballooned" up when moved to an unheated quarenteen tank.

I hope your female gets better.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's been separated/isolated from the rest since I noticed her... affliction. I DO still have her plastic cup (and all my kids' plastic cups...) and the lids 'cause I'm one of those pack-ratty types. She does NOT have the pine-coney scales (shoulda mentioned that) even this morning when I checked on her, nor does she have trouble swimming, aside from being lethargic. I kept thinking she may be pregnant, aside from the absense of verticle stripes, and the fact that her ovipositer (is that the right word?) is not jutting out. Mostly, the part that bothers me is the fact that there are actual LUMPS jutting out... like, if she were a snake, I'd assume it was a foot from a mouse (providing I had just fed her a mouse...)

Oh, and if I were to euthanize her, it would be ODing on clove oil with an ice cube dropped in her little cup and then shoved in the freezer and a hope for a quick death. I've only had to euth once before...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Can you get a picture of her and the "lump"? My females looked prego for about a week before the "pinecone" symptom, but no lumps. I was so looking forward to start spawning again with them. I would try to treat her first for a week or so, and if that did not help, then euthenize her. Try the Meth Blue bath daily for 30 min, and treat her tank with pimafix (follow directions), then after that (I think it says treat for 3 days), treat with melafix (again follow directions). If you have Kanaya (sp?) you can try that also...pimafix first then kanaya?, then melifix. If these don't work, then I'd euthenize.

Don't give up on her...she may supprise you...also, what food do you feed? I used to feed betta food that I picked up at Walmart. Hariki? Betta Gold is a really good food...My 3 male betta are doing great on it...one started getting that "bloated" look to him, and I switched food and soaked the food for 5min in a drop or two of the tank water then feed.

Good Luck with her!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can try to get a picture tonight when I get home. if I can get my camera to turn on and actually take a photo... *ahem* anyway...

I'd already started the melafix/pimafix routine on her. I figured that if it WAS the early stages of dropsy, might at least TRY to fix it. Even if she was pregnant, the male is so old... I don't think he'd mate successfully anyway...

My betta girls eat a variety of crushed hikari betta pellets and the newer tetra flake food with colored dots in the middle. All my fish seem to really like that stuff. Even the betta boy seems to like it, though he prefers his hikari betta pellets.

... I don't WANT to euth her, but I don't want her to be in pain, either... NOR do I want her to die in the tank and explode germs all over to kill everyone else.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It sounds as though she has tumors. I had a female betta that had a tumor and she actually lasted about a month. She was feisty till the last couple of days. She died naturally. But I had euthanized other fish and I use a product called Euthanase, which is just a clove oil product. However, clove oil is difficult to get into suspension and I just find this product easier to use. You can get clove oil at health stores. I purchase Euthanase from Drs. Foster & Smith.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was reading about how "common" the tumors are in bettas. It makes me sad, but I don't want her in the community tank anymore just in case it's parasites. She's still swimming and relatively active, though very bored looking in her hospital tank. I've got her up high in my room so the heat keeps her warm, but no substrate. Cat keeps her company.

---Was going to take a photo, but the 200$ camera that eats batteries like candy doesn't seem to want to accept rechargeable batteries. At the moment I've got nothing to power the stupid thing with. :( *frustration*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.