The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After hunting around my area for some stones, I found one large stone that I thought looked nice. Unfortunately, it was the only stone of its kind that I could find in a larger size, so the other stones to accompany it are smaller, though of same type. I have been playing around with the arrangement of the stones but can't seem to think of a good way to lay them out. I have some layouts that I have tried below. Please help me layout the stones :bounce:

Any suggestions are highly welcome :icon_smil

please tell me which you prefer

the original

Base on some of the input I got here is another option

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try to maneuver them so you get as much height as possible - even if you have to pile up substrate in strange amounts beneath/behind to support them.
Do you mean for the smaller rocks so they match the height of the bigger one on the right? or for both sides?

thanks for the input guys, and I am still open to any suggestions

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
He means that you should stand the rocks upright to make them as tall as possible. Once the carpet plant fills in most of the rock will be covered. If the rocks are lying down or partially buried in the substrate you might not see then at all. Also, don't match the heights on any of them. Make sure they all have different heights.

You should always follow the rule of thirds when you're arranging the largest stone because it'll most likely become the center of interest.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He means that you should stand the rocks upright to make them as tall as possible. Once the carpet plant fills in most of the rock will be covered. If the rocks are lying down or partially buried in the substrate you might not see then at all. Also, don't match the heights on any of them. Make sure they all have different heights.

You should always follow the rule of thirds when you're arranging the largest stone because it'll most likely become the center of interest.
Hey,

Thanks for the clarification on that. I tried to place the bigger rock on a 1/3 line. I also made the other rocks more vertical, while attempting to make sure that they were varying heights.

Here is what I came up with

Please let me know what you think I should move around to improve the hard scape

Thanks for all the input guys

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
out of curiosity though, since i have never used rocks in a scape, can rocks really raise the water hardness so much between water changes that it can harm fauna?

·
Registered
803 Posts
didn't get fizz so I assume it's good to go, but thanks for the warning
:proud: No worries, just looking out for ya!
out of curiosity though, since i have never used rocks in a scape, can rocks really raise the water hardness so much between water changes that it can harm fauna?
Not just between water changes, it will can raise the pH very, very quickly if you have a lot of rock surface area touching the water. I've got a 1/3" layer of rock at the bottom of my 55gal cichlid tank. When I recently filled it, the 50gal or so of water came out of my tap at 7.4 and within 12 hours it was 8.8. It has since dropped to around 8.2-8.4 two days later.

EDIT: Wait, hardness, not pH. I didn't measure hardness in it yet, but if the rock reacts to vinegar, it will also buffer the water with calcium carbonate, raising your kH, and I'd imagine it would raise it fairly high.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:proud: No worries, just looking out for ya!

Not just between water changes, it will can raise the pH very, very quickly if you have a lot of rock surface area touching the water. I've got a 1/3" layer of rock at the bottom of my 55gal cichlid tank. When I recently filled it, the 50gal or so of water came out of my tap at 7.4 and within 12 hours it was 8.8. It has since dropped to around 8.2-8.4 two days later.

EDIT: Wait, hardness, not pH. I didn't measure hardness in it yet, but if the rock reacts to vinegar, it will also buffer the water with calcium carbonate, raising your kH, and I'd imagine it would raise it fairly high.
I was curious to see what kind of stone I had so I looked on the internet and discovered that my rock i likely slate. Pictures seem to match, and I know that some of the buildings around where I was collecting rocks were built with slate, paths, and things

1 - 16 of 16 Posts