The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble getting higher C02 concentrations with my Red Sea 500 reactor. I'm using the DIY drop checker and it's green most of the time, but I'd like to get it yellow and crank it up a bit to help with a small algae problem. Any suggestions? I'm hearing about diffusers and such lately, but not sure how they would work with my Red Sea C02 system. Currently I can't run more than about 1 bubble per second without it losing efficiency.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ph is relatively constant at 6.9-7.0

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd been having trouble getting CO2 levels up using a glass diffuser and got the Red Sea 500 -- and saw no improvement at all. I gave up on my Red Sea 500 and went with my glass diffuser situated directly below the intake for a powerhead. My CO2 levels skyrocketed in my 75 gallon.

I think the Red Sea 500 might work in a much smaller tank, but it's nowhere near sufficient for larger tanks (even though they claim it works for tanks up to 125 gallons).

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
if you drill a hole in the reactor chamber, insert some plastic tubing, then run it to the back of the powerhead such that bubbles of Co2 come thru, and get sucked back into the powerhead impeller thus get chewed up some more, you might be able to increase the reactors efficiency. I've never seen anyone do this, but it should work in theory anyway :icon_roll

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you drill a hole in the reactor chamber, insert some plastic tubing, then run it to the back of the powerhead such that bubbles of Co2 come thru, and get sucked back into the powerhead impeller thus get chewed up some more, you might be able to increase the reactors efficiency. I've never seen anyone do this, but it should work in theory anyway :icon_roll

Good thinking, but I don't really feel like drilling into anything. I'm looking to more or less replace the reactor with something better. Rhinox 2000 and an anheim water pump to disperse the CO2 an ideal way of making more CO2?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Start adding Flourish Excel to your dosing regime until you can get better C02 figured out, it can be a little tricky.
Just curious, but how much should be added in conjunction to my dosing regime? I'm dosing the EI method. Lighting on 7 hours a day. UV on 24/7.

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Start adding Flourish Excel to your dosing regime until you can get better C02 figured out, it can be a little tricky.
I just bought a 500ml bottle of the Flourish Excel and added 5 cap fulls and will add one cap full every other day in conjunction with my CO2, which I just tested and it's at 16.68ppm! :( I'd like to keep the Red Sea pressure regulator, bubble counter and needle valve, but that RC 500 Reactor just isn't giving me enough. I'm going to try setting the reactor flow rate in the middle and turn up the bpm and see if I can see a change tomorrow in my CO2 level.

What do you guys think of getting a diffuser and a water pump to disperse the CO2 through the tank.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Good, you will notice a difference in the plants and algae real fast, within the next day or so.

What do you guys think of getting a diffuser and a water pump to disperse the CO2 through the tank.
That will yield you much better results than the RS reactor500, I believe that contraption is for a much smaller tank like 20g or less, anyway, sounds like you are on you way up the food chain... :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good, you will notice a difference in the plants and algae real fast, within the next day or so.

That will yield you much better results than the RS reactor500, I believe that contraption is for a much smaller tank like 20g or less, anyway, sounds like you are on you way up the food chain... :icon_mrgr
Man I sure hope so. Any recommendations on a diffuser and water pump for a 55 gallon?

PS.. I also raised the water level just now to reduce the amount of water agitation at the surface. I'll be doing a CO2 test tomorrow to see how the increase in bpm, adjusted reactor pump flow and reduced water movement at the surface affects my CO2 levels tomorrow at this time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You will need at least a Rhino 2k or a Beetle30 and an Aquaclear 20 or 30 should be enough for a 55g.
Thanks for the quick replies. One last question for ya. If I end up needing a Rhino 2k and a Aquaclear pump, how are they setup? Just remove the current RC 500 Reactor and stick the Rhino in it's place and put the pump above the Rhino to disperse the CO2 bubbles? How far above the Rhino should the pump be? TIA!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Whichever way that will give you the best dispersion that you can stand looking at..lol
Personally I set diffuser on one side of tank and powerhead or in my case lily pipe goes on the other side, or you can place the diffuser under the powerhead so it will intake the micro bubbles for dispersion, just dick around with it both ways, you will get it ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whichever way that will give you the best dispersion that you can stand looking at..lol
Personally I set diffuser on one side of tank and powerhead or in my case lily pipe goes on the other side, or you can place the diffuser under the powerhead so it will intake the micro bubbles for dispersion, just dick around with it both ways, you will get it ;)
Wow the diffuser is on the opposite end of the tank!? How does this work? I'd love to see some photos of your setup. Your signature looks beautiful, but not easy to see.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After adding the initial dose of Excel Flourish i've noticed that my water is slightly cloudy. That normal?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts