The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@leemacnyc........................Thank you!!! I am planning on getting more background plants to hide the equipment showing!

@ alym.........I'm not sure what kind of scape I want to achieve, the creative gene that I am used to having has not kicked in yet. I figured a few suggestions would point me in the right direction. Meanwhile, I do intend on adding more plants in the background. As far as equipment, as I stated earlier it is pretty low tech. Lighting is at 1.45wpg, pH 7.4, Emperor Penguin 400 and Eheim 2213 Filter, Nutrafin CO2 System and that's about it. I would like the scape to 'flow' a little more, it seems kind of abrupt. Any help you can give will be appreciated!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
What type of lighting are you using? When is the last time you changed the bulbs? Sorry for all the questions, but I'd just like to know what types of plants your scape will support.

Also, what do you have for substrate, and are you willing to dose basic fertilizers?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an eclipse F40T10 lighting that I had since March that came with the hood so it is pretty much standard. I will be changing the bulbs before the month is up as I haven't decided which bulb is the best to use. I have been looking at the coralife 40W 10000K bulbs.

As far as substrate is concerned I am using an eco-complete/floramax mix. I have root tabs in the substrate, and I am currently using florapride as a fertilizer once a week and I am willing to change if it is necessary. I had heard that Excel will damage my Vals and Crypts so I was kind of hesitant in using it.

I was told that I would not need fertilizer since I already have fish in the tank, and since I would be getting more.

Tank Residents include:
1 Moonlight Gourami
1 Serpae Tetra (will be adding 4 more)
4 Rummy nose Tetras ( will be adding 4 more)
3 Cories
3 RCS
2 Ghost Shrimp
1 Otocinclus
2 Rasboras (will be adding 5 more)

What do you think?

·
Registered
61 Posts
IMO I would get bulbs that are 6700K not 10000K. I have 6700K bulbs in my planted tank and its growing real well.

I would move the left driftwood (I believe thats what it is) more to the right and try to make one focal point really. Put some of the taller plants behind it and like lee suggested, try to hid some of the equipment. I have my intake for both of my canister filters in each corner that way it attracts less attention IMO.

It takes a while to figure out what you want to do with your tank then when you think you found what you like you try to create it and a few days/weeks/months later you get bored and change it all up. I still haven't found my perfect scape for my tank...its frustrating but you'll get there!

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.