The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely a "wild type" cherry... definitely not bamboo.

Could be another species, but if she breeds with your other shrimp, no doubt, she's a cherry!
Somehow i really like this wild cherry shows its color hahaha

Btw, i ordered few dozens of rcs, but most of them died day by day until only around 20ish. I tested the water and all param suggest an optimal readings...

Though i do have borderline soft water, and I'm afraid they don't have enough calcium to molt when added to the tank

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
GH is about 7 and KH 4 1/2

That sounds fine to me... however, the pH is low and I'm curious as to why.

What substrate are you using?

Are you currently using CO2?

If yes to CO2, did you turn off the CO2 during acclimation of the new shrimp and slowly increase it back up?

Also, both ammonia and nitrites should be at 0

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GH is about 7 and KH 4 1/2

That sounds fine to me... however, the pH is low and I'm curious as to why.

What substrate are you using?

Are you currently using CO2?

If yes to CO2, did you turn off the CO2 during acclimation of the new shrimp and slowly increase it back up?

Also, both ammonia and nitrites should be at 0
my ph is low mostly likely because i didn't use solenoid and let it run 24 hours...i use my local made soil

evolution platinum

unfortunately i didn't turn off the co2 before acclimating the shrimp...and i'm very very sure my local store shrimp tank doesn't use co2 and only sponge filter

darn it, i didn't realize this..could this have a big impact when acclimating shrimp? i'm sure that my tank is towards acidic, but didn't know it will impact the shrimp that much...

EDIT: i'm planning to build an classic iwagumi tank, but is it possible to have shrimp only on iwagumi tank? or it will stress them because there's only carpet to hide...?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your tank isn't cycled. CO2 probably isn't the issue.

The ammonia and nitrite present in your tank are likely the problem.

How long was the tank set up before you added shrimp? How did you 'cycle' it? Does the substrate you're using release ammonia/ammonium?
it's been over a month since i cycled it..the bloody mary shrimp are especially sturdier than the recent rcs i've had...yes, the soil i use is releasing ammonia for the first 2 weeks though...

i haven't had a chance to test the ammonia level, only nitrite and nitrate..i thought maybe other shrimp and fishes are fine, maybe i only got bad batches of the rcs ??

EDIT: but recently i got bad algae outbreak and managed to win the war by doing 70% water change every 2 days and top it off with bacteria starter..maybe sudden changes in the water parameter is what makes them die??

if so, maybe it's better to add the shrimp when i only do water changes once a week?

·
Super Moderator
16,943 Posts
it's been over a month since i cycled it..the bloody mary shrimp are especially sturdier than the recent rcs i've had...yes, the soil i use is releasing ammonia for the first 2 weeks though...

i haven't had a chance to test the ammonia level, only nitrite and nitrate..i thought maybe other shrimp and fishes are fine, maybe i only got bad batches of the rcs ??
Your tank is not cycled if you have nitrite present. That means there's also ammonia/ammonium present. You need to cycle your tank before adding livestock. Shrimp are especially sensitive to ammonia/ammonium, nitrite and even high nitrates.

Since you know your substrate releases ammonia, you'll need to remove the livestock from the tank until it is actually cycled or try to counteract the ammonia. You can do that by adding Prime (or similar product) to the tank to try to neutralize it and do large, frequent water changes. Just know that this won't entirely solve your problem and you will likely lose livestock until the tank is actually cycled and stabilizes.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Seems like it's a combination of things....

Ideally, you shouldn't be using water with KH in it with active substrate. This can cause fluctuating parameters each time you do a water change.

CO2 left on day AND night? You could potentially be gassing your tank...particularly at night when the lights are off. Plants make CO2 at night, which could cause oxygen levels in the water column to plummet. I don't use CO2 but I have heard the recommendation to turn it off for a few days to a week before introducing shrimp and then slowing increasing CO2 back to levels considered safe for shrimp.

Do you know your source water parameters?

·
Super Moderator
16,943 Posts
EDIT: but recently i got bad algae outbreak and managed to win the war by doing 70% water change every 2 days and top it off with bacteria starter..maybe sudden changes in the water parameter is what makes them die??
Are you intentionally ignoring what we've written?

Your tank is not cycled. That's why your shrimp are dying. Ammonia and Nitrite are toxic - deadly - for shrimp.

The other things you're doing aren't helping but at the end of the day? Your tank is not cycled. Until it is cycled, your shrimp will continue to die.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you intentionally ignoring what we've written?

Your tank is not cycled. That's why your shrimp are dying. Ammonia and Nitrite are toxic - deadly - for shrimp.

The other things you're doing aren't helping but at the end of the day? Your tank is not cycled. Until it is cycled, your shrimp will continue to die.
Not in a million years sir, and I'm sorry if you're offended. Haven't had a chance to reply your previous post, and it seems you read my edit sections and it led to this...again I'm sorry and i didn't mean to disrespect any suggestions

Maybe it's important to tell the whole story what happened with my tank and obviously i forgot to write it, thus the edit part on my previous reply

Back to the topic! Hehe

I tried capturing shrimps and tetras but no luck so far, most of them hides under the rocks or rotala. Will siphoning with largee hose dangerous for them? I may be able to lure them out of their hidings, but afraid to uproot the plants..

·
Super Moderator
16,943 Posts
Not in a million years sir, and I'm sorry if you're offended. Haven't had a chance to reply your previous post, and it seems you read my edit sections and it led to this...again I'm sorry and i didn't mean to disrespect any suggestions

Maybe it's important to tell the whole story what happened with my tank and obviously i forgot to write it, thus the edit part on my previous reply

Back to the topic! Hehe

I tried capturing shrimps and tetras but no luck so far, most of them hides under the rocks or rotala. Will siphoning with largee hose dangerous for them? I may be able to lure them out of their hidings, but afraid to uproot the plants..
Definitely not offended and you didn't disrespect anyone. I just want to make sure you're able to get the best information you can to help you with your situation.

If you're using a hose to siphon, you should cover the end of it with a fine mesh of some sort. A shrimp net, a pair of stockings or tights, some sort of cloth/material to prevent shrimp or fish from being pulled in by the suction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Definitely not offended and you didn't disrespect anyone. I just want to make sure you're able to get the best information you can to help you with your situation.

If you're using a hose to siphon, you should cover the end of it with a fine mesh of some sort. A shrimp net, a pair of stockings or tights, some sort of cloth/material to prevent shrimp or fish from being pulled in by the suction.
But i thought since i can't catch them at all, I'm using hose to siphon my livestock on to the bucket...will it be fine?

If you're trying to get the shrimp out of the tank it should be fine to siphon them out. Just use a big enough hose and do kind of a slow siphon.
Aye sir! If that's okay, and won't hurt the livestoxk i might do that...saves time and pain on my back hahaha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.