The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
The blotchy yellow makes me think Calcium, though Iron deficiency also causes yellowing (though that's usually more uniform and accompanied by green veins).

I know you said it's dirted; do you use any supplementary ferts? Also, are you using tap or RO, and do you know your hardness levels in the tank?

I would cut all the severely algae-infested leaves off, add a couple root tabs and maybe a dose of micros, and observe the new growth.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blotchy yellow makes me think Calcium, though Iron deficiency also causes yellowing (though that's usually more uniform and accompanied by green veins).

I know you said it's dirted; do you use any supplementary ferts? Also, are you using tap or RO, and do you know your hardness levels in the tank?

I would cut all the severely algae-infested leaves off, add a couple root tabs and maybe a dose of micros, and observe the new growth.
Thanks for the reply! I don’t use supplementary ferts. I have osmocote if I need it but no real dosing of the water column, I don’t want to really do that. I’d like to keep this tank as low maintenance as possible. But I don’t mind using root tabs.

I should also say that I have riparium plants growing out of the tank too, sucking nutrients out of the water column. I just didn’t think I should need to add ferts just yet. The tank is not even a year old yet and with the dirt sub I figured it should last a little longer.

I have tap water with a high GH and KH. I don’t have measurements right now. But it’s usually around 10-12 drops for both if I can recall from my last testing.

The algae...I need to mess with my lighting. I have a older finnex 24/7 fixture that has the 24hr option and thats been on since day one with the plants. I think it’s too much lightning and I need to put it on a timer with a siesta but I just haven’t yet and I’m
sad to do it because I enjoy the feature on the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I don’t use supplementary ferts. I have osmocote if I need it but no real dosing of the water column, I don’t want to really do that. I’d like to keep this tank as low maintenance as possible. But I don’t mind using root tabs.

I should also say that I have riparium plants growing out of the tank too, sucking nutrients out of the water column. I just didn’t think I should need to add ferts just yet. The tank is not even a year old yet and with the dirt sub I figured it should last a little longer.

I have tap water with a high GH and KH. I don’t have measurements right now. But it’s usually around 10-12 drops for both if I can recall from my last testing.

The algae...I need to mess with my lighting. I have a older finnex 24/7 fixture that has the 24hr option and thats been on since day one with the plants. I think it’s too much lightning and I need to put it on a timer with a siesta but I just haven’t yet and I’m

I struggled with that decision too on my Finnex 24/7. It was a night and day difference for me. :)
I went with one complete day off instead of siesta. Just depends on your viewing habits.

Sometimes with crypts you have to clip old leaves. It invigorates new growth when you do.

But really that kind of looks like nitrate deficiency (leaves going yellow, but not stunted/curly). Although you shouldn't be dealing with that since you have osmocote in there? You don't really need it in the water column. If the roots can get it. So can the leaves.

If you could test nitrates that would help but I bet putting in new plant tabs and trimming all old leaves, as mentioned, would perk it up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that if you also have riparian plants clearing everything out of the water column, then it's likely your submerged plants fed heavily from the roots and depleted the easily available nutrients from the soil faster than normal, kind of like if I grew a really intensely planted veggie garden in a small space I'd need to add nutrients back much sooner than I would with regular landscaping.

Cryptocoryne are good root feeders, so general-fertilizer tabs like the ones filled with Osmacote would probably solve the problem regardless.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I struggled with that decision too on my Finnex 24/7. It was a night and day difference for me. :)
I went with one complete day off instead of siesta. Just depends on your viewing habits.

Sometimes with crypts you have to clip old leaves. It invigorates new growth when you do.

But really that kind of looks like nitrate deficiency (leaves going yellow, but not stunted/curly). Although you shouldn't be dealing with that since you have osmocote in there? You don't really need it in the water column. If the roots can get it. So can the leaves.

If you could test nitrates that would help but I bet putting in new plant tabs and trimming all old leaves, as mentioned, would perk it up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yeaa, I love the 24/7 feature. Throughout the week I’m home putzing around the house and i love seeing it all the time. I have had thoughts about upgrading to the newer fluval model that you can adjust the intensity of. But then I would need to rig that light to work on my pvc arms for hanging. Nitrate deficiency would def be an issue as I’ve had issues with it in the beginning with cyano bacteria before I had livestock. This could just be the long term result of having chronic low levels.

I haven’t tested parameters in a while so I should probably do that too.

I’ll put some osmocote caps in the substrate. I haven’t added any since I have a dirt sub. Probably between the riparium plants and the massive amount of crypts in this tank I just need some fertilization.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that if you also have riparian plants clearing everything out of the water column, then it's likely your submerged plants fed heavily from the roots and depleted the easily available nutrients from the soil faster than normal, kind of like if I grew a really intensely planted veggie garden in a small space I'd need to add nutrients back much sooner than I would with regular landscaping.

Cryptocoryne are good root feeders, so general-fertilizer tabs like the ones filled with Osmacote would probably solve the problem regardless.
Thanks! I’m gonna trim and add the osmocote and will see what prevails. I do have a lot of plant mass in the water so between the rip plants and aquatic plants I may have over estimated how long my dirt sub should last.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.