The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forums,

I've been in the fishkeeping hobby for several years now, but I am hitting a problem I've never had before: fish are dying with no visible signs of disease.

Facts so far:
  • 33gal breeder, heavily planted, with Aquaclear 50.
  • 25C temp (77F)
  • PH/KH are stable, I use tapwater with Seachem Prime, as I've been doing for years
  • Ammonia and Nitrite both below 0.25ppm, Nitrate at 0ppm.
  • Water changes every 2 weeks (roughly 30%).
  • Food includes mix of Hikari micro pellets, Hikari freezedried bloodworms, Hikari algae waffers and Northfin community feed.
  • No algae.

Fish (and their deaths in chronological order):
  • 3 Dwarf Gourami (down to 2, the biggest one died 2 weeks ago)
  • 5 Corydora panda (down to 4, the youngest died last week)
  • 6 Pygmy Corydora (down to 5, one died today).
  • 1 Khuli Loach
  • 1 Otocinclus
  • 3 Amano XL shrimps

I can't put the finger on what's causing the deaths, everything seems stable.
The only info I have, is that the first gourami to die seemed sick 2 weeks ago (he was staying upright but could barely swim and stayed near surface). I was hoping he'd get better but he died over the night, I retrieved the body the following morning, and since then I've lost 1 fish a week.
All fish went through quarantine when I got them, and they've all been in the fishtank for over a month now.

Hints please :)

·
Banned
628 Posts
Maybe internal bacterial or Capillaria? One of my fish just recovered from being sick. It was so much extra work. Prepare for water changes. Good luck with the treatment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello forums,

I've been in the fishkeeping hobby for several years now, but I am hitting a problem I've never had before: fish are dying with no visible signs of disease.

Facts so far:
  • 33gal breeder, heavily planted, with Aquaclear 50.
  • 25C temp (77F)
  • PH/KH are stable, I use tapwater with Seachem Prime, as I've been doing for years
  • Ammonia and Nitrite both below 0.25ppm, Nitrate at 0ppm.
  • Water changes every 2 weeks (roughly 30%).
  • Food includes mix of Hikari micro pellets, Hikari freezedried bloodworms, Hikari algae waffers and Northfin community feed.
  • No algae.

Fish (and their deaths in chronological order):
  • 3 Dwarf Gourami (down to 2, the biggest one died 2 weeks ago)
  • 5 Corydora panda (down to 4, the youngest died last week)
  • 6 Pygmy Corydora (down to 5, one died today).
  • 1 Khuli Loach
  • 1 Otocinclus
  • 3 Amano XL shrimps

I can't put the finger on what's causing the deaths, everything seems stable.
The only info I have, is that the first gourami to die seemed sick 2 weeks ago (he was staying upright but could barely swim and stayed near surface). I was hoping he'd get better but he died over the night, I retrieved the body the following morning, and since then I've lost 1 fish a week.
All fish went through quarantine when I got them, and they've all been in the fishtank for over a month now.

Hints please :)
You should have a Ammonia and Nitrite level of 0ppm. I suggest not feeding the fish for a couple of days also a partial water change should be done. Retest parameters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should have a Ammonia and Nitrite level of 0ppm. I suggest not feeding the fish for a couple of days also a partial water change should be done. Retest parameters.
To be honest, they are very close to zero, but I always have a hard time with the color of the test vials so I give values in brackets. I will follow your advice of water changes, probably daily, for the next few days in the hopes of improving situation.

·
Banned
628 Posts
To be honest, they are very close to zero, but I always have a hard time with the color of the test vials so I give values in brackets. I will follow your advice of water changes, probably daily, for the next few days in the hopes of improving situation.
I didn't make myself clear. The water changes are for when you treat your fish. I had to change the water in a hospital tank every two days while I medicated a fish. I'm sure your Ammonia is probably fine. I think you might need medication to improve the situation. I no you're answering LTom but I don't think water changes in the main tank are going to help.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Need to do some elimination of the possibilities: water quality, environmental issues, food/nutrition, disease/parasites.

Parasites:
If you are not seeing any indications of the most common ailment: ICH: then an external parasite is most likely not the cause so can rule that out. Not to say they don't have an external parasite, but if it was at the point of irritation, you would see them either rub against objects, dash around tank, or back up in a way that looks like they are trying to get away from something.
Internal parasites across species tend to take longer to kill fish than this timeline. While it is possible that they are from the same fish farm, they were most likely not in contact with one another until in your tank. Unless the retailer has a central circulating system. In which case I wouldn't buy from them.
But, in terms of internal parasites you would see white feces and wasting or red protrusions from vent. Also, this area will be red and inflamed. This often leads to secondary internal bacterial infections-- death. This usually happens over several weeks - months. Weaker fish succumbing first- stronger fish over time.

Viral infection:
Possible, but not common.

Bacterial Infection:
Columnaris: Very common in farm raised fish.
Aermonas: Very common in tanks that are high in organic waste.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.