The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think it's potassium deficiency but i add 2 table spoon of KO2 almost every day... I'm going to keep a photo journal of my mistakes so I and others can learn. The rooted plants are struggling although I have root tabs. And I have good amounts of algae. Not a huge problem.

Lutia

Java fern

Anubias

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just made a signature with the profile... I add trace & iron.
I have a bag of Potassium nitrate & Potassium phosphate but the fish poop is just right so i haven't had the need to add them..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure if this would be the problem or not, but aren't your nitrates and phosphates quite high?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There are some issues, besides that low, low co2 dIy (not DYI :)).

Have look here:
Nutrient Deficiency in a Planted Tank

But, nevermind that for a bit -

How long has this tank been running? Crypts and Java ferns are exactly "fast growers", and beyond that, Crypts have nasty habits of melting when moved around.

Oh, in that sig, you listed t2 65,00000 ? whoa! Typo I hope! And any reason you are using T2's?

Lastly, how are you measuring those parameters you posted?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i was thinking, do you think i have too much plants?
the hygrophilia polysperma is out competing everybody.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I doubt that removing plants will help much.
If it were my tank I'd...

Get my phosphates down around 1 ppm (big water change)
Lower my nitrates into that 5-10 ppm (big water change)
Increase the heck out of my CO2

What is your fish load? And how often do you water change and how much?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fish load:
3 botia histrionica
5 cherry barbs
1 red rainbow
3 bettas
3 rummy nose betta
1 rubber lip pleco
1 hillstream loach

weekly 25% water change.. although last week I did a 50%.. will do a 50% in a few days as well.
I have a DIY CO2.. my co2 wall seems to be 10ppm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you feed heavily it could be contributing to your high phosphates and nitrates. Overfeeding contributes significantly to nitrates and phosphates in your water that can lead to algae. This may be your problem as your fish load may be a bit high.

Running high light as you are also means that you have to get your CO2 up. Perhaps adding another DIY would help or move to compressed CO2. I know it's a bit expensive but once you've changed you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi

Hi also with raising your Co2 you should see the nitrates go down some because your plants will be more happy allowing them to take in more nitrates.

This happened to me when i started adding Co2 plants got the Co2 they needed then started taking in more nitrates.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Unless you have calibrated your nitrate and phosphate test kits you can't rely on them for dosing decisions. And, the only reasonably reliable way to measure the amount of CO2 in the tank is to use a drop checker, such as the Red Sea CO2 indicator, using distilled water in it which has sodium bicarbonate added to give a KH of about 4 dKH. So, I'm betting you are short on all of the ferts, includiing the CO2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts