The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to planted aquariums and have two 30 gallon tanks to play with, I have them I'm old floor model television cabinets so space is limited. Here's what I'm starting with, in one tank I have black rocks, under gravel filter, heater, a few fish and three moss balls. I want a decent low tech tank setup. I also have four cfl bulbs that are 6500k on a timer. I have a few pieces of drift wood from the gulf of mexico. Where do I go from here, what do I need to substitute and buy better. Please help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Haha, what a fun idea! What wattage are your CFL's and what filter/s do you have? For low tech, Anubius, ferns, crypts, and sword are the staples along with some stems like wisteria, camboba, and water sprite. I've found jungle val to do well in my low tech too. I'm currently trying to keep Red Ludwigia and Ludwigia Ovalis alive and they seem to be doing pretty good so far. I'm probably medium lighting, no CO2 or excel and ferts once a week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My filter is undergravel powered by air stones. The lights are 4 micro miniCFL Sylvania 13w outdoor 800 lumens. 6500k. They are quite bright but I may turn a few months off if needed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using the above description of my on-hand materials, is my substrate ok, I have access to big quarts looking stones, I have driftwood already but I'm undecided which rout to take. With driftwood I know it will take a lot to make them sink, honestly I don't want to spend months doing that. Will rock turn green with almost no water changes? . I'm heading to Petco right now to check out those plants mentioned. How many will I need of each? I don't rally have a budget or idea of what I want, I just want lots of green plants for my fish. I may even get different fish to add to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.