I pretty much decided to bite the bullet and get MH fixture. So now it's the matter of which one to buy for the least amount of $$$.
Now I have a standard 75G, but definately upgrade to 90+ (as long as it still 48" long). I plan to run the T5s all day and 4-5 hours of MH burst. Also turn on MH at night for my viewing pleasure when I get home from work, or when guests come over
I like this one:
48" 529w Current USA Outer Orbit Metal Halide T5 Strip
Or it bigger brother:
48" 716w Current USA Outer Orbit Metal Halide T5 Strip
So the question are:
1. 150W vs 250W? I think 150W is enough, but consider questions below...
2. Bulb selection? more 250W option then 150W?
3. Maintainabilty? 250W has external ballast, 150W is built-in. So naturally 250W ballast is easier to replace.
4. If not current, then what other brand? I know maristar is better, but too expensive for me.
5. Noise... the tank is going to be in the living room so I want it to be as quite as possible.
6. Maybe I should get pendent instead?, but I like to have T5 also? One thing with pendent that I'm afraid is it may fall into the tank while I'm not home, with bigger fixture it will just fall onto the middle braket and stay there.
7. Is there some sort of MH stand? My roof is pretty high and it's not my house I don't want to bother hanging the light that way.
Have anyone use either of these fixtures? care to share your experience?