The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I need some help deciding where to go from here. I have a large potted C. lutea in the tank already, you can see it there bunched up in the driftwood, and I also have a large potted C. wendtii 'bronze' in the holding tank. But I'm not averse to picking up some new plants. I just feel like I've reached a stalemate, and I don't know what to do from here.

The left side will look great once the balansae and retrospiralis grow up and over, so I have to be patient for that... I'll move the lutea at that time. But the right side, and I guess everything in between, I'm not sure I like.

I've been planning all along to put a stand of Rotala vietnam somewhere off-center and to the right, but it also seems like something should be behind it. I just don't know what. The tenellus should eventually carpet all open areas, but I'm not against planting stuff here and there. I just don't know what.

And the anubias nana leaves are too big, I think. Maybe I should take it all out and get petite nana instead? Or should I put more crypts in there, like the wendtii, just to balance the scape out with the size of the leaves and all.

Am I making any sense here?

Oh yeah, this is a 45 tall. 3' x 1' x 2' (real skinny and real tall).

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I don't think the anubias leaves are too small. I think they will look great once the rest begins to fill in. What's the stem plant in the back - I can't make it out. Will it grow up some. When your tennelles fills in it will look good. It might be neat to put some glosso on top of the rock on the left, just a small amount cascading down it's face. It would compliment the small leafed plant in the background. Just a thought.... It looks nice.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. That stem plant is Rotala rotundifolia, and it just received a haircut minutes before that pic was taken, but yes it will grow up and look very nice there I think. I want to keep it short and sloped downward like that though. But then I start feeling like where it slopes down into the flow of the branches it gets too empty. I don't know what to do to fix that.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Thank you. That stem plant is Rotala rotundifolia, and it just received a haircut minutes before that pic was taken, but yes it will grow up and look very nice there I think. I want to keep it short and sloped downward like that though. But then I start feeling like where it slopes down into the flow of the branches it gets too empty. I don't know what to do to fix that.
Would you want to extend your Rotala rotundifolia out further to the right and have a more gentle slope?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a thought that occurred to me, actually. I definitely want a more gentle slope, but that was the best I could do with the amount of plants I had. After the next haircut, I will have more tops to plant in the ground, so that should help out.

Do you think I should also have an upward-sloping separate grouping of bunch plants? Behind it and then sloping up to the right, at maybe a steeper angle? Maybe another rotala, like r. magenta?

Or maybe I could have a thicket of crypts in the back right corner that kind of fills it out a little? Then I'd still like to have my stand of r. vietnam.

Thanks, Left!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The R. magenta sloping the opposite way will look nice. It would give you a reverse mountain look. It will be a nice balance to your wood color.

If you do the crypts they would not have the same slope effect. I'm thinking that depending on the type you might have too bold a color if you just have them in the corner and not planted more along the back continuing behind the R. rotundifolia.

Either way it will be interesting. I do think once your E. tennelles fills in it will take on a nice full look. :D

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's true, about the crypts in the back right corner. So scratch that idea. Thanks for your input! I do like the idea of some kind of other stem plant sloping upward in the back right corner. It doesn't have to be r. magenta. It could be D. diandra, or L. aromatica, whatever. Then, in front of that, and a little to the left too I guess, I will have a stand of r. vietnam. Basically it seems to me that with the plant selection I have, it's going to be heavily in the green/gold/somewhat-red palette.

I really want the tall crypts to hurry up and grow already, over on the back left side. The problem is I've only got 72w of NO t5 lighting over this tank. Yes, 30" fixtures, I know. But it's all I have right now, and it seems to be working, it's just the plants aren't growing fast enough for my liking.

Also the tank is CO2 injected. I plan on putting a pair of 70w MH pendants over this tank in the near future.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Sounds like it's really gonna look nice. I love all the colors. It's probably a good thing that it's growing slow- less maintenance. When you do those other lights - look out!

·
Registered
308 Posts
what about some moss on the wood? :D
It might also look better if you added some smaller rocks with the larger ones in the same location.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's funny you mention that about the moss... it was my intention all along, and I still have a clump of fissidens I could use for the task. I just ended up really liking the look of the wood right after setting it up, so I kept the branches naked.

I also considered attaching anubias nana to the branches instead, after seeing how they sort of "wrap along" the wood. Maybe that might be cool. Thoughts on that anyone?

If I did attach moss to the branches, Should I attach it to all exposed branches? Or should I just pick a couple strategic ones? Maybe I could do a blend of nana AND moss?

And as far as rocks go, I could probably add a few more, if needed. I still have plenty of smaller rocks from the same rubble pile leftover. I'm going to hold off for a while though.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
What is the long, straight. whitish color with spots 'stick' that comes out of the left side branches at the substrate level and ends almost under your intake? (Whew, that's a long sentence.)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL I couldn't understand that sentence at first until I brought my girlfriend over to paraphrase it! I think that the only thing you can possibly be describing is one of the manzanita branches... right? All that's in this tank is manzanita, substrate, zebra rocks, fish, shrimp, and water. There's a branch that runs the length of the tank that has a lighter color than the rest of them, I guess. And it starts on the left side, just to the right of one of the rocks, and goes all the way to just about under the intake.

That has to be what you were referring to.

...right?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
That's Right.

I've looked at your picture many times, but I just noticed that white stick yesterday. It may not stand out in your aquarium, but it caught my eye (after a while). :)

Your aquarium has my attention because I would like to do something similar. I have some similar Manzanita, but it is a branchy bush.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts