The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving!
I just want to get some peoples input and help me decide on something. I recently received an eclipse tank from a friend of mine but it came with the tank and hood w. lighting. The filtration is broken and the light is a bit dull. I was thinking about running this tank, but something crossed my mind. I thought what if I just didn't spend the money on a new filter, lamp, etc and just buy a dozen Blue Tiger shrimp and have it in my 20gal. I originally wanted to select breed some BTs, but I thought it might not be too good of an idea to start a colony with just 6 BTs. I am on a tight budget and only have enough money to buy the accessories for the other tank or buy a dozen blue tigers. Any suggestion on what I should do?

Thank You!

-P.S. If I do plan on getting the eclipse tank started can anybody help me find a site that sell the light for the eclipse. I'm not too sure model I have, seems like a 10G max.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
You should get the shrimp. Getting equipment for the other tank would also mean spending more money on livestock or plants.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah after getting some help and thinking about it. I think starting off with 6 is a bit too little to selectively breed them, so I'll hold off on the tank and start with 12.
@Digsy - Did any of them breed? will you be keeping the lighter blue and blondes together with your dark blues?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have had quite a few of them breed but my tank is too heavily planted for me to even consider selectively breeding. I've been meaning to transfer them to another tank but that's a huge hassle. :) I'd definitely start with the 12, if you can swing it. I initially started with 10, lost half because of high temps and then picked up another 8, all of which have done well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.