The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have some serious light questions. Me and my gal set a spending limit for each of us for Christmas. I just got her a nice ring....so now its my turn to spend her cash. So I decided to get another setup going WITH pressurized co2 :biggrin::proud:. Am planning on just the standard 20 gallon High. I wouldn't mind a cube but I need to measure out my table and don't want to spend to much so I can get a near complete overall setup. Rather than just a light and tank. So I'm down to the lighting aspect. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices all catalina brand.

The catalina 175w pendant metal halide. $185 (can hold a 250w bulb if wanted).
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_83&products_id=1218

The catalina 24 inch Solar T5HO 2x24w fixture $100
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1410

OR the 24 inch lighthouse CF 1x65w fixture $59.99
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_76&products_id=1197

This tank will be in a main lounging area of the basement. So I want this to be a nice display tank. Im really leaning towards the halide. The look of it is very classy and just how they light the tank in general. Plus the halide could be used in the future for a bigger tank, therefore, I wouldn't be stuck with a 24 inch light if I was to go with one of the other 2 choices. So that's a big plus there.

All of these fixtures are a different style of lighting also so I'm not to sure on what to go with. Any and all opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I would go for the last choice, the 65 watt PC fixture. The other two can give you so much light you will hate the tank for all of the algae problems you will have to battle. The money you save can go towards a good CO2 system.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Hoppy. I was wondering if the that fixture is strong enough to try out some higher light plants? I am interested in hygrophila's and maybe a few red type plants. I have no experience with them, so sorry if this sounds a little noob. The books/websites I have read said they prefer a decent amount of light. So I want to make sure I have enough to try these out.

Now let me ask you this. If money was not a big issue would you still pick that? We agreed on how much we can spend on each other.... but I don't have a problem chipping in more lol. Since I was ready to buy my own co2 setup anyways.

About the algae issue. I have a 2x24w t5 nova setup on a 20 gallon right now and algae doesn't seem to be a problem. I know there not quite as strong as the catalina setup with there superior reflectors. But do you think it would make that much more of an issue? Is 48 watts of t5 that much stronger than 65 watts of PC?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this right the first time around. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts