The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an outbreak of brown algea in a tank that has been set up for about a month. Decided to geta few Otos and I don't get around too well so called the LFS and since they said they had them the wife went there. Had the name written on a paper and she bought 5. Next thing I know they are in a heavly planted 30 gal but only 1 is an Oto. One is a CAE for sure and the other 3 are gold with black so I think they are also CAEs. Now we have to get them out. Is there any way short of removing all the plants and wood? any help will be welcomed.
Gene

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Baby CAEs will help with the algae. But they are the hardest thing to catch! If you get them a comfy cave like a pvc pipe, you might be able to nab them inside. Otherwise, you could tear down your entire tank and still not get them. They are crafty. (I had one who would get under a huge pleco when I tried to catch him. Neat fish, but...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I heard an account of one person using a small animal carrier (one of the plastic ones with a small, hinged door set in a snap-on lid made for transporting hamsters, mice, etc.) They put the carrier in the water and put some food inside, leaving the little door on top open. When the CAEs swam in for for the food, the owner used a stick (or something like that) to close the door and trap the fish.

Apparently it worked very well.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I've done the small fish carrier,

it works if the fish in question has a food they go crazy for.
Leave the "stick" in the tank, and be patient.

Or the soda bottle trick. Take a 20 oz soda bottle, cut the top off where it starts to narrow, and then put back with the narrow part in the bottle so it funnels in.

Put the CAE food in there, and pray they go for it.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.