The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 30 gallon rimless tank and i need to make a light fixture for it. i was planning to do only low light plants and then just have a lamp or something but i didn't really think that through very well... haha! anyway, now i am thinking i would like to make a fixture that i can either attach to the stand and have it hang over the tank or have it hang from the ceiling. i just need some direction! :)

i was thinking a fluorescent tube fixture thing with some kind of covering over it but i don't know. (i am not really up on all the terms...haha!)

what do you think? fluorescent or led? any tips on where to buy, either a fixture or the parts to make a fixture? i am in newfoundland so it will have to be online. any links to directions to make a fixture would be great too. (i am not up on the terms but i am pretty handy)

please help :)

thanks!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
if it was me I'd get a couple work lights with metal reflectors and hang them either from something that attaches to the stand or hang them from the ceiling. Put 2, 23 Watt CFLs in them and that would give you around 1.5 watts per gallon which is fine for a low light tank. Home Depot has the fixtures I'm talking about on their website.
SEE HERE

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Mindy - Kamikazi has a good suggestion.

If you find a white fixture that works for budget/space/light req. you can use contact paper or spray paint...just a matter of your skill levels.

Look at Hydroponics supply sites for mount hardware or just ideas.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.

the home depot link didn't work.

i will have a look at the hardware store in my town to see what they have. i am assuming nothing i can use. :(

i will have to wait until i go into town some time, no home depot there either but maybe i can find something in the hardware store there.

i will have a look for some hydroponics sites. thanks.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again.

thank you for the link. i could probably find something like that pretty easily when i go into town next.

thanks hoppy. i tried looking in the diy section but didn't really search a whole lot. like i mentioned, i am not really up on all the terminology when it comes to stuff like this so i am a little worried i won't be able to find all the stuff i need. i will have a look again.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If I were going to build a lighting fixture, I'd get a T5 retrofit kit and build a housing for that. It's really not too difficult, even if you only have hand tools. You make a box for it out of 1" lumber and/or plywood. Then hang it or build it too the frame.

Here is an example of a T5 retrofit. There are many others that will also work. (offsite) - http://www.specialty-lights.com/250525.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.