The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i woke up to my tank having cludy water so bad ita harf to see though. If was clear last night when i did a wc and cleaned my pefilter to my canister. I tested the water and had 0 ammonia 0 nitrite nitrites 15. Even my octs died im down to a hand full rcs and the only thing not dying is my Malawa shrimp. I did a 75/wc and the water is still cludy. Wth casued the cludy water over night and what do i do? This is a 20g btw

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
A bacteria bloom shouldn't kill shrimp, it's simply a build up of excess of one of the two nitrifying bacteria and it will stabilize itself out. Doing huge water changes doesn't nothing for it and will only stress the shrimp more than letting the bacteria bloom ride itself it and correct itself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank/filter has been up for about 5 months. Well some thing is killing stuff in my tank . And since i did the big wc today some shrimp are starting to swim around again. But some thing happened last night after i did a 25% wc every thing went to hell i uesed aged tap water whit prime like i allways do.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
do you use a dechlor in your water? is it ro water? what temp was the new water and old water? could something you used to fill the tank had some kind of chemical/soap on it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ues prime and its tap water that i put in a 5gal buckt for a day and put some prime in it. The temp of the water was probly around 70ish and my tank is 73-75. I dont think any thing got in to the tank its the same buckt i ues every time. Another rcs died so im down to 3left now its only the rcs and my octos dyeing. I added an air stone to the tank to see if that helps i do npt have a tds meter or any thing could my water copeny have put something in my water? Should i go buy some jugs of water?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow so my tds meter came in and i checked my tank water and i have 295tds in it! i checked my tap water and i have 275 coming out the tap. im thinking my water company changed something as i have cloudy water coming out my tap to, and its ph is at over 8 when it used to be at 7ihs. so what is a good ro unit that wont cost and arm and a leg?

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Until you can get an RO unit you might want to buy either RO or distilled water from your grocer.

I live in an apt and can't plumb a unit in, so that's my only option.

Remineralizing either RO or distilled water will be necessary, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i can do that but man that's going to be a pain in the ass hall all them jugs up to my tank, but il do that for now. any way what is a good ro unit that people use for shrimp?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't think your tap water isn't compatible with RCS; they can live in 295+ TDS easily. I'm guessing your predicament may have to do with improper cycling. How long has the tank been set up and what are the ammonia, nitrite, ad nitrate values? Just to be sure we're not missing anything, what are the PH, GH, & KH values?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the tank has been up since July, 0ammonia 0 nitrite, 15 nitrate, ph of my tap is reading over 8 on my api test, when i set this tank up my tap water was reading mid 7s, kh took 13 droops form the api test kit gh took 5. im really thinking my wc changed something as this all stated after my last wc. i did the wc and the next day my water was cloudy in my tank and i been losing shrimp at about 1 a day. and i found out if i put tap water in a glass and hold it up to a light and its a little cloudy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow i did a 50% wc today whit distilled water form the store and whit in about and hour i have seen a a big change in my shrimp they are swimming around aging and walking all over the plants and not just hiding anymore they even come out to eat again. tds are now 230ish and ph is down to upper 7 lower 8. so it is some thing in my water. so what is a good ro uint and what is the cheapest to run in the long run as far as replacement filters go? and about how much should i spend to get one

·
Super Moderator
15,266 Posts
How much you spend on RO depends upon your budget. There are several great retailers - some of them forum sponsors - so be sure to shop around and check things out.

My rule of thumb before spending $100+ on a filter, though, is to always research the company I'm buying from thoroughly so I understand warranties and replacements.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts