The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought this tank used a week ago, I have since cleaned it and I currently have it filled full in the laundry room to test for any leaks. The tank appears to look like brand new. silicon is near mint condition.

the glass is most definitely bowing though.

thoughts?!?!

measures 18.25inch at the corners and 19 inch in the dead center when full. I am worried about the amount of bowing but I have to assume this is meant to be or why wouldn't they have put a center brace on.

i would really like some reassurance on what should or should not be done here.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think I read somewhere that older tanks pre 1970's? didnt have to have center braces as the glass was thicker back then, but since you said its a newer tank I have no idea why it would not have one...

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its in great condition but i guess it could be older...

i have it filled with water now like i said and i am just so use to seeing pics with people tanks and center braces.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glass thickness is 5mm, does this help identify if this is a fish tank vs terrarium?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If the glass is really that thin, I don't think it is meant to be used as an aquarium. I've never seen a 75G aquarium with glass that is thinner than 1/4" or 7mm and those tanks have a center brace.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If cut and expoxied, the right piece of metal or other support material, in the right place, could work...but it's a risk. That would suck to come home to THAT mess one day :/
It might be worth just getting the correct tank so you don't have that worry looming over you and your tank indefinitely...

EB

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Instead of metal get a piece of glass cut to 18.5 and silicone it in as a brace.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Does it still have the trim on it? If it does it may be a terrarium and not intended to be filled up with water. If it does not have the trim on it, someone may have derimmed it, if that is the case you can get a replacement rim online, you may need to contact an aquarium manufacture but should be able to get one. Aquariums that are designed to be rimless are usually made with thicker glass than what would be used for the standard aquarium of the same size. You can try and add your own center brace like others have suggested, but if it is a terrarium the glass itself is not designed to hold back the weight of that amount of water so it would still be risky. I would not suggest using it as an aquarium. In my area there is a big market for larger aquariums for people to use for larger lizards, you could try and sell yours off and get something different.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My 40b that was inspected in July of 2013 has obvious signs of its center brace being cut out. It has a definitive bow to it when full. With a 75g I'd be worried.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
so......... what manufacturer is that?
the one who would silicone on a glass to glass, glass top brace?
how about a photo of your 75? this one with the manufacturer siliconed
glass top brace.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
All of these fixes sound like they're going to look super ugly.

Why not just drop the plan to make an aquarium altogether? Go with the cards you're dealt - make some other manner of vivarium! Paludarium? Shallow riparium?
?

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is at least one manufacturer that makes 75 gallons tanks without any form of center brace. My local lfs ordered some for the local university and I just happened to be in the store when they got there. I was curious as I hadn't seen one like that before. I think they used thicker glass. The tanks were pretty heavy.

·
Banned
86 Posts
There is at least one manufacturer that makes 75 gallons tanks without any form of center brace. My local lfs ordered some for the local university and I just happened to be in the store when they got there. I was curious as I hadn't seen one like that before. I think they used thicker glass. The tanks were pretty heavy.
absolutely, plenty of manufacturers don't use a center brace due to the fact
they use a thicker glass, to compensate for stress at the weakest point.
even acrylic tank manufacturers integrated top braces, to reduce cost.
but a thicker perimeter acrylic negates a top braces.

a siliconed in glass to glass, glass top brace might do in a pinch, not a manufactured stand point.

the question still stands.

"what manufacturer is that?"
"how about a photo? "

:bounce:

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
absolutely, plenty of manufacturers don't use a center brace due to the fact
they use a thicker glass, to compensate for stress at the weakest point.
even acrylic tank manufacturers integrated top braces, to reduce cost.
but a thicker perimeter acrylic negates a top braces.

a siliconed in glass to glass, glass top brace might do in a pinch, not a manufactured stand point.

the question still stands.

"what manufacturer is that?"
"how about a photo? "

:bounce:
Tipsy you need to cool your jets.

My tank is about 20 years old. I was there when they installed it into my client's office. When he closed his practice 4 years ago he gave it to me. It was a salt tank now fresh. It's bottom drilled. And yeah I got the sump and the pump. And the sump is huge. I don't know the manufacturer. It was a long time ago. I don't remember who made most of the tanks I bought brand new 33 years ago either. In fact I am only sure about the manufacturers of 10% of my 50 tanks.

Attachments

·
Banned
86 Posts
how dare you tell a fifty nine year old proud black american veteran to "respect his elders" and call me "boy" in the same sentence!
then insult everyone's intelligence by showing that photo of a
plastic framed, plastic center braced tank.
that someone fixed with silicone and a chunk of glass! and call it manufactured? or in anyway logical!
20 years ago as now, there is only a hand full of manufacturers!
and you conveniently can't remember? well i can remember my first 25gal pemco metal frame tank from 1966..........and everyone their after!

i've seen your tall tails in other posts.and your just as shallow as that tank!

my sincere apologies to you philipraposo1982 for getting out of hand in your thread to prove a point.

no need to reply, other to save your dignity.
i'm out for good and won't be back after that "boy" crap.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
First off Tipsy thank you for your service.

Sorry about the comment I have edited it out. It's what I call my son all the time. Nothing racial intended.

As for the tank. That plastic strip was only to keep the original glass tops in place. It does not contact the plastic tank frame in any manner. There is no indication at all that a plastic strip was ever there. The plastic frame is fully intact and shows no signs of a plastic center brace ever being cut out. It has always been glass siliconed in place since it was manufactured. As I stated earlier I saw this tank being installed brand spanking new. It had the glass brace from the maker.

Sorry I don't remember every manufacturer of every single tank I own. I've got 50. It's also never really been important to me as to who made the tank. I've got a couple with unique frames made by one of the big manufacturers and you don't see the type of frame anymore. Things have changed even among the major builders. The lids actually fit inside the frame not on top.

And yes I do remember the very first tank I had. It was a metaframe.

So a glass brace is not a hack.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts