The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some help. I'm stocking my 46 bow front today and I got 22 neon tetras from pet smart. After I put the fish in my tank I noticed 1 has some discoloration in the middle of the body. Is this NTD? Should I put down the fish as a precaution to save the other tetras in the tank? The tanks been cycling for last last 3-4 weeks and I did a 90+% water change this morning before I went and got the fish so pretty sure the water parameters are good

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It is NTD or Colmnaris (most likely NTD though). Both have the similar white patches, which the one is presenting the common white saddle back (white patch under dorsal fin).

Columnaris is treatable with antibiotics that treat for aerobic gram negative bacteria. NTD has no confirmed cure.

But precautionary steps are the same. Separate any fish showing symptoms. If any fish die, remove them right away so no other fish contract the disease by consuming infected fish.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Both pictures are of the same fish. I've already taken it out of the main tank. I'm planning on taking it back to petsmart to exchange. Should I put it down first or bring it back alive?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Normally I almost never kill a fish. But seeing as how its most likely going to die anyway and rather than return it possibly infecting other fish or ending up infecting another customer's fish, i think euthanizing it may be a better option to prevent more harm.

I doubt you have clove oil to euthanize, the quickest way to euthanize without disfiguring would be to get ice cold water then instantly place the fish in it to shock its body and then freeze it just to make sure it dies completely. Then thaw it out and place in a bag. And get a water sample from your tank that the store will want as proof your water is good. Dont tell the store you intentionally killed the fish, just say you found it dead (assuming you are within return policy date)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.