The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 200L planted tank and I have been wrecking my brain on how to have better circulation throughout the tank.

Currently I have the intake and outflow on the back left part of the tank. The outflow is pointing to the front left of the tank. On the back right side of the tank I have a powerhead pointing from the back right to the back left.

I would appreciate it if you could suggest a better setup to get the pest possible flow throughout the tank..

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's not really possible to plan flow without knowing the layout, co2 needs and power of the pump. But having a single intake and out flow on one side should be enough for most scapes.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
You are on the right track. Your filter output should be pointed to hit about center of the front pane in order to get a better circular flow, not the left front corner.
If you dont have a surface skimmer I suggest replacing the powerhead with one, the Eheim 350 works well.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Does the skimmer make a difference? Should I put the powerhead in a different place?

What about a spray bar?
A skimmer is a three- fer, you get the flow and better gas exchange and no surface scum. You wont need the powerhead. You could put a spray bar on the left side, or a lily pipe, or you could just turn your existing output to hit the front pane at about midpoint. Here's a pic of one of my tanks. Lily pipe if front left corner, skimmer in right back corner, results in a nice circular flow

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that! Unfortunately my aquarium in not a rimless one so I have the place for intake and output on the left and right back so hard to put a lilly pipe in the front left :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Then just point the outflow you have toward the center front of the tank, that alone will give you better flow than you have now. Before I went with the lily pipe thats how I ran mine, it works great for getting a circular flow, I installed a Lily pipe just to try it, not because there was a problem. And your aquascape is ideal for a circular flow.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What if i leave my setup as is and add a skimmer front left pointing flow left to right? Or would you place it instead of rhe powerhead? Or put a spraybar on the lrft side of the aquarium? Just mentioning some ideas

Also if you guys think the skimmer is the best option what is the best model?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I dont know why you'd want to add another visible piece of equipment inside your tank, and you may have too much flow as a result . So why do you want your outflow pointed to the left front corner, is it fixed and you dont want to modify it? The pump on the right side is going to provide flow to that corner.The Eheim 350 is the one I use and it works well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So what would you do if you were in my situation?
Point the existing outlet toward the center of the front pane. If for some reason it is in a fixed position( you haven't said) find a way to modify it so you can do that. If you have a surface scum problem then invest in the Surface skimmer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.