The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some plants today at a LFS a couple of hours away from my city. I just got home and noticed through the bag there was a really long and thin worm wriggling around in the bottom, tangled in the roots of a vallisneria. This this was LONG and really elastic like, and the colour was blood red. It broke into sections when I tried removing it, and one of the sections burrowed down into the leaves of the Val. I cut that leaf off and scooped it out. What the heck is this thing and should I not use the plants I bought from the store?? I had a huge bag of vals, I'd rather not waste them. Help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to be all gross and such, but it sounds like a tapeworm. Were there fish in the tank the plants came from?
So here's the thing, I'm quite familiar with tapeworms (I work in a Veterinarian clinic) and this thing was certainly not that. It was long, slimy and stretchy and the colour was a bright blood red. It was awful. The plant the worm was on was from a plant only tank, but there were other plants in the same bag that he gave me out of their display tank that had a school of tetras in it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So here's the thing, I'm quite familiar with tapeworms (I work in a Veterinarian clinic) and this thing was certainly not that. It was long, slimy and stretchy and the colour was a bright blood red. It was awful. The plant the worm was on was from a plant only tank, but there were other plants in the same bag that he gave me out of their display tank that had a school of tetras in it.
I worked for a animal hospital too. You mentioned segments and I automatically thought of tapeworm. I don't know what you got, sounds nasty though.

Maybe somebody has a idea of how to treat the plants first? I'm not sure if Vals can or would tolerate a bleach dip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a post and pictures from another site that fit the description of what you're talking about: Red Worms??!! - 183533
It really looked like the ones in the pics further down in that thread. It doesn't really give me an idea of what they are though, they mention tubifex and California black worms but it was just one single worm not a cluster and it was so long it wrapped around a scrunched up paper towel ?

·
Banned
483 Posts
yes

Take a photo and throw the plants away, unless you want more of this weird [censored][censored][censored][censored] to plague your life!!!

That's what it looks like when I google it! But really, really long! Should I throw the plants away? I can't see any more on the roots but I'm not sure I want to deal with an outbreak of parasitic worms..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take a photo and throw the plants away, unless you want more of this weird [censored][censored][censored][censored] to plague your life!!!

That's what it looks like when I google it! But really, really long! Should I throw the plants away? I can't see any more on the roots but I'm not sure I want to deal with an outbreak of parasitic worms..
Excuse the dog hair, I had to pull it out of the trash. It's noticeably darker now that it's dead but it was bright red when I got it out. That's one entire worm splattered across that paper towel.

·
Banned
483 Posts
enemies

Well, you also could have saved it for your worst enemy. Just casually drop it in a cup of ice coffee.

Excuse the dog hair, I had to pull it out of the trash. It's noticeably darker now that it's dead but it was bright red when I got it out. That's one entire worm splattered across that paper towel.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Let's think of this in business terms - how much did you pay for the plants and how much is the health of the aquarium for you? I'd vote throw away the plants, return them to the store with that gross worm!!!

Order some levamisol and dose the plants, keep them in a bucket so long.
Bump: And to think I'm asking if it's ok to drink tank water...

Attachments

Reactions: Pattern8

·
Banned
483 Posts
10 bucks

Totes, but if she bought 30 bucks of plants and risks having this worm in her tank, I'd say just return the plants and the worm, it's gross and creepy!!!

Levamisol HCL is dirt cheap Some places will sell you 1g at a time, enough to treat a 55gal tank twice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let's think of this in business terms - how much did you pay for the plants and how much is the health of the aquarium for you? I'd vote throw away the plants, return them to the store with that gross worm!!!

Order some levamisol and dose the plants, keep them in a bucket so long.
Bump: And to think I'm asking if it's ok to drink tank water...
You're definitely right. It just sucks that the store is three hours drive for me. I make the trip every few months just to get plants. Ugh! Such is life.

·
Banned
483 Posts
mail order

You also might want to consider the costs of driving if it's a trip just to buy plants (gas, time, etc.), you can easily order plants online, and probably also from a bunch of people on this forum also, which may have pesticide and snail free stock to provide.... That worm thing is totally crazy, I would not put that stuff with your plants and or fish. Would you feel comfortable with that thing in a bubble bath?

You're definitely right. It just sucks that the store is three hours drive for me. I make the trip every few months just to get plants. Ugh! Such is life.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You also might want to consider the costs of driving if it's a trip just to buy plants (gas, time, etc.), you can easily order plants online, and probably also from a bunch of people on this forum also, which may have pesticide and snail free stock to provide.... That worm thing is totally crazy, I would not put that stuff with your plants and or fish. Would you feel comfortable with that thing in a bubble bath?

Absolutely not. The plants are going in the trash. I'm just glad I noticed it before hand.

·
Banned
483 Posts
trumped

LOL! Well it could have been a fun experiment! TRUMP 2016!

Absolutely not. The plants are going in the trash. I'm just glad I noticed it before hand.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would say California black worms as camallanus worms are not reported to reach that length. Though also important to note a great deal of living specimens will appear much longer after death due to their body "relaxing."
I've had them before with no issues.
Other very important note: everything has something else living on or in it. What many people (though higher number of women) have growing on their eyelashes would make you squirm. So ladies next time your in a makeup artist's chair you better make sure he or she uses a sterile wand.
Also, with the amount of live stock from points all around the world coming through any LFS you really can think of them as you would any large airport hub
And though many discourage the use of medications....I prophylacticly treat everything before it goes into one of my tanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.