The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driftwood has developed these white spots over the last few weeks. It starts as a white sheen on the wood and then the spots get more distinct. It rubs off, but returns. It's not on plants, glass or rocks. My tank is 600l with twice weekly 10% water change. It's been up about 6 months. Nitrates - 0, pH 6.8, 28 C (82 F). Low stocking rate incl four discus which have become reclusive and I'm wondering if whatever is causing this white stuff is stressing them. I'd be really grateful for ideas, thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
Has the wood been in the tank for 6 months?
It would seem very strange to me if it is still present after that long.
Also, I have never had a piece of wood develop this again after the first occurrence some time after introduction to a tank.
This looks like some kind of mold from adding wood that was not properly cured or aged before adding to aquarium.
With discus I would take it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I don't know what sort of wood it is, I collected it from the beach about a year ago. The two pieces affected (one purchased spider wood not affected) are over a metre long so couldn't boil them. They were soaked in the tank with daily water changes for about two months before I set up the tank with fish, plants, etc. They have been in the tank since I set it up about six months ago. The discus have been in there for about 4 months, cohabiting happily with the wood. The white stuff only began a week or so ago. Do you still think the discus could be affected after all this time?

A wood fungus huh? I've had a look around and found this, which does look awfully similar. Do you think I need to do anything or just wait for it to go? The pleco's don't seem interested in cleaning it off.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.