The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We found these fish at our LFS - they were in a tank with several other kinds of fish... most of them were tetras, and we thought these might be, too. Since they're pretty and they were on sale for 75 cents a piece, we couldn't pass them up. However, we're having a hard time identifying them, and I'm hoping you folks might be able to help.

They're only about an inch in length at the moment. We've had them about a week - when we first got them, their eye color was blue and gold. Now we're seeing some red in them. Their tail fins are starting to get color (black) in them, as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We want to make sure to move them to the appropriate tank after they come out of quarantine. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought they might be black neons at first, but when I compared them to ones we have, the new guys have much more black in them than the black neons do. Here's one of our black neons:

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Could be Blackline Tetra aka Hyphessobrycon scholzei.

I got bored with my black neons, gave them away. If I get black type tetras again, it'll probably be Emperor Tetras if I can find some smaller ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Emperors are pretty; I like them.

We'll keep them in the quarantine tank for another week or two... this should give us time to figure out just what they are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts