The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I been dying to know what kind of fish I have. I bought 5 true flying foxes (supposedly from someone on ebay) and 3 true Siamese algae eaters from live aquaria. :help: They all look the same. One set of barb, zigzagged and faded tail. Some of their black lines on their tail do touch the end of the tail fin on some of them. One is getting pretty big and still no sign of black fin coloring. Maybe they are garra? All I know Is that I haven't seen anymore black beared algae and hair algae comes and go. Plus my moss is getting plucked. The only thing I see on some area of the moss are the stringy stems. No itty bitty leaves. Though some do seem a little more yellow and a dot at the end of their tail is pinkish. I Want to get rid of some but don't know if I even have any true siamensis. I'm afraid of giving away the true one's and at the end having a fox. :icon_roll

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
I guess non of them have the black spot at their bottom, all look like crossocheilus atrilimes.

8 is a good number, their aggressiveness towards each other or other fish will be suppressed.
you need more algae, especially those brown algae on rocks, to make them happen and grow fast, they can reach 6-7 inches in a year if food is plenty.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
first, this is the flying fox:

Epalzeorhynchus kallopterus

Epalzeorhynchus kallopterus

second, this is the false SAE, they were commonly imported years ago, as SAE or mixed with SAE, now anyone buy SAE from fish store, less chance to get this sucker because now the Asia fish farm take the False SAE out of SAE.
juvenile look 95% the same as SAE, but adults, much different, picture is the adult:

Garra cambodgiensis

there are three types of fish under crossocheilus are commonly seen effective algae eaters, the atrilimes, langei, (both are SAE, also called black line flying fox in Asia) and the reticulus (very common in Asia aquarium hobby, common name is Little Monkey flying fox).

crossocheilus atrilimes, (the 8 you have), large size or adult fish also eat hair algae and java moss. Now 80% of the time anyone buy SAE from fish store, are this fish(other 20% are Langei or something else)

a fat adult atrilimes for sure:

crossocheilus langei, the famous BBA eater(starve the hell out of them, they will eat BBA), look pretty much the same as crossocheilus atrilimes, and this fish prefer algae more than java moss, also eat hair algae when they reach large size.
langei has elongate body, snot, so the fish look slimmer than the atrilimes, if anyone has both juvenile or sub-adult fish side by side, still need experience eyes to tell the difference.

for adult fish, easier to tell, because adult langei are bigger and more cigar shape than adult atrilimes which are pointer snot and deeper middle section(look fatter).

other than body shape, the big difference and the best way to distinguish atrilimes and Langei is the spot at the bottom. langei has the spot after a couple month old, and have it since, atrilimes are not, clean belly for life.
the suspend swimming pattern between langei and atrilimes, are different too, and it is a good way to distinguish them when young, not say anything more here about the behavior because anyone has to personally seen the action/video between the two.

langei

the langei spot

crossocheilus reticulus, the Little Monkey flying fox, another powerful algae eater, but no one bother to import, sad.

sub-adult

adult

·
Registered
171 Posts
From what I've been reading, a true SAE will have:
- clear, unmarked fins
- a black linear stripe that runs around the tip of the nose and through the tail
- no gold/yellow line above the black line along the body
- a black splotch on the lower belly
- one pair of barbels and a little sucker mouth, like an otos
- a habit of holding themselves like otos, propped up on their pectoral fins rather than flat on their belly
- peaceful behavior and a tendancy to informally hang out together in ever-changing groups

If any of that sounds off, someone let me know pls. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nice job bettatail! I have seen crossocheilus reticulatus available several times but had no room. Beautiful fish!
SAE = Siamese algae eater is a common name, nickname if you will. When you're trying to identify a fish exactly, common names are worthless.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohhhhhh. :wink: so there are also many family members within the name of SAE. No wonder why almost every article has some different information. They are all true Siamese algae eaters but are different depending on the area of the river/lake that they came from. Though I've read that they swim together side by side, a few of them must have cross a weird border back in the days in order to adapt to an algae rich stream and so then had to eat more algae then other protein rich food. Ok so now I see. The one with the black spot is what people really want but most times end up like me. lol it'll be alright. SAE atrilimes still sells good right? How should I price one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.