The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in florida next to a freshwater spring. I found these 2 plants last time I was out in the boat but I have no Idea what they are. Does any one here know. I think the moss looking stuff might be phoenix moss? The cup Its in is a jello shot cup so its really small. The low laying plant in the first pic has long white roots. Petite Nana maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you letting me know the pictures where messed up and for your patience. I think I have them corrected now.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Moss is a Fontinalis, it looks like.

First one could be Samolus valerandi, but it's hard to say, partly because it's buried so deeply.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I believe that I have the one in the second picture in my lake near me.
Odd thing is that when I put these in my tank they grew like a Java moss.
The stems got slightly wide but the leaves got shorter and if they are side by side I can tell them apart but not if they are alone. The plant that I found was on a stream bank...but here's the picture...that stream bed/bank is under 4-6 feet of water most of the year. They drain the lake each winter for home owners to repair docks. So the water level is 4-6 feet lower and the stream is actually a stream like it was before they built the lake. I walk out along the bank to fish for catfish at the mouth of it where you
normally need a boat to get to. That is where I found these plants...where it would normally be under 4-6 feet of water.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried digging up around it and taking another shot. It is not very deeply planted at all I planted it like I would a amazon sword. It may very well still be to deep though.

Where the bottom leaves touch the stem in the pic right under that is roots, You can see some of them coming up out of the substrate next to the plant.

The pictures of this plant are not coming out very clear :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Suggest you google some pics of Samolus. Really hard to tell for sure from quick photos of sterile plants. Seems a fair bet nonetheless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts