The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is water sprite - Ceratopterus thalictroides. It is very fast growing and a good choice for reducing nitrogenous wastes in the tank. It's a favorite plant for anabantoids to build bubble nests in if it is grown floating. Good luck with your useful stow-away.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good luck getting it to root in the substrate. Mine would ALWAYS..100% of the time have roots rot and it then grew as a floating plant. I've seen it growing in substrates in photos and vids and all I can think is the new high intensity lighting does it for them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is water sprite - Ceratopterus thalictroides. It is very fast growing and a good choice for reducing nitrogenous wastes in the tank. It's a favorite plant for anabantoids to build bubble nests in if it is grown floating. Good luck with your useful stow-away.
See I think the leaf shape is different from water sprite. Water sprite also has thinner leaves in the images I see

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are at least 2 variants/clones of water sprite. The normal or wide leaf version (which is what is in your photo) and the fine textured, lacy narrow leaf version. The narrow leaf version is presently the most common commercially.

Another water sprite relative which I grew in Fla. is the so-called T. cornuta, which is a much wider leaf with a spongy texture and often grows in a mat above the water surface. I collected this one in Lake Tarpon, near Tarpon Springs, FL.
It is not commonly grown in the hobby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! I think this thing is water sprite! The same plant exhibit both broad and thin leaves depends on the nutrients level. This is the leave after I did a trim on the root system and decreased the amount of fertilizer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.