The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi ! I’m a beginner and I just set up and cycled my first tank and began adding fish a couple days ago. I planted the tank about 3 weeks ago and everything seems to be healthy. I have a couple java ferns and some java moss that seem to be doing fine so far.

I also got a free plant from a friend but he wasn’t exactly sure what it was, and I have no idea. It looks like it’s getting ready to spawn (roots and little stem growing from the leaves) and I was hoping someone could help me ID it so I can make sure the little ones survive and help fill out the rest of my tank since I’m on a budget and can’t afford to buy as many plants as I’d like. I attached it to a rock with some string and it appears to be doing fine, but I can always plant it in the substrate as well. I just kinda took a guess, considering the rest of my plants aren’t supposed to be buried in the substrate. Attaching a picture below. Thank you so much ! EDIT: also , if someone could give me a link as to how and when I should detach or move the baby plant from the mother or how best to do all of that id really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Looks a lot like Bolbitis Heteroclita. Let the little plants get a few leaves and the start of a little rhyzome before detaching.

(edited..) As far as planting, leave the entire plant on top of the substrate, burying the rhyzome will hurt the plant. It will grow holdfasts that will attach to either rock or wood and can also attach to gravel grains although they never really help anchor the plant well like attaching to heavier items do. And like your Java Moss and Fern, provide Low light and bare minimal fertilizing, generally fish waste and old food suffice, but don't forget your water changes.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
Java Fern.

You can tell from the way the plant is reproducing. The new plants it's making on the tips of the leaves.

I do have some in substrate, though they were shipped and I they have not grow roots at all. they aren't dying out at all though. So once I get places to attach them I will.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Java Fern.

You can tell from the way the plant is reproducing. The new plants it's making on the tips of the leaves.

I do have some in substrate, though they were shipped and I they have not grow roots at all. they aren't dying out at all though. So once I get places to attach them I will.
If you leave the tops of java fern near the surface of the water I find it will start pushing holding roots out quicker.

I have to agree with bolbitis and the advice you were given on planting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks a lot like Bolbitis Heteroclita. Let the little plants get a few leaves and the start of a little rhyzome before detaching.

(edited..) As far as planting, leave the entire plant on top of the substrate, burying the rhyzome will hurt the plant. It will grow holdfasts that will attach to either rock or wood and can also attach to gravel grains although they never really help anchor the plant well like attaching to heavier items do. And like your Java Moss and Fern, provide Low light and bare minimal fertilizing, generally fish waste and old food suffice, but don't forget your water changes.
How should I go about detaching the baby from the leaf? Just pull it off ? Cut it ? Remove the entire adult leaf ? It looks like it’s ready to be removed. I can see a little rhizome now.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Remove the leaf and cut it off, make sure the rhizome isn't covered, attach the small plant to a rock or some driftwood and you should be good to go. I usually wait until they detach themselves but I know you don't have to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remove the leaf and cut it off, make sure the rhizome isn't covered, attach the small plant to a rock or some driftwood and you should be good to go. I usually wait until they detach themselves but I know you don't have to.
Thank you ! I’ll probably just let it detach itself then. Wasn’t sure if they did that or ended up killing the leaf and getting free that way. Thanks again for the help from everyone I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The leaf is already dead. If there's a rhizomed shoot on it it's dead- I just don't like messing with my java fern because it's my otos and he's possessive lol. It's better if you cut the leaf.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Once you get baby plants on your leaves, doesn't mean the leaves dead.. It may have stopped actively growing, this is usually the case with Oakleaf Watersprite and big Philippine Ferns. My Philippine ferns will often have 4 or 6 babies on their leaf undersides and are still bright green.

Bolbitus Heteroclita are splash zone ferns and can live submerged fine, they do prefer a bit of stream flow and CO2 injection wouldn't hurt, but not required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts