The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw them at the pet store on Sunday, but I was in a rush and didn't get a good look. They were listed as some sort of tetra, but they had a very evil look to them. A large pronounce jaw, sort of pirhana looking, and much larger than what one expects for a normal tetra. A gray/bronze-ish color. I went through the list on Wikipedia but cound't find anyting close.

The fish I saw were maybe 2, 2.5 inches long. Anyone have a guess / photo along the lines of what this could be? They really caught my attention and I'd like to learn a bit more, maybe look into getting some. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly not a Congo tetra. This fish was mean looking; it had the jawline of one of those anglerfish from the bottom of the ocean. Very angular, and full of teeth.

From what I can tell via Google, it wasn't a Brass tetra either. If you could imagine an exagerate pirahana jawline on a much smaller fish, you'd be close to the mark.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Payara seems very close, but everything I see on Google images is turning up like 5 foot long fish! Do you have more information about the common aquarium species?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah those look much closer than any of the common aquarium species. Seems like the common Payara is not a good aquarium species, but there are several that stay smaller. Anyone have any links? And thanks for the help on ID! :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
There is another tetra, that's a scale eater. Has large teeth, I'll see if I can find a picture of it. Definitely NOT for the community tank!

Tina

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure this pet store wouldn't have stocked a group of 15 fish likely to grow to 5+ feet long and have 8 inch fangs. There must be a smaller variant that looks similar or is somewhat related to a Paraya but more conducive to the aquarium.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the only good pet store in town (town being Boston). They pretty much only carry aquarium stuff as far as livestock, and its all in very good condition. The folks there all know their stuff from what I can tell.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
could me diamond tetra , but im pretty sure its pacus they are ugly and evil

ok its the sabertooth and you know it

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess people buy these fish and just throw them out when they reach 12" / ability to kill you? I don't think I could sleep at night with them in the house.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts