The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone know what these small plants are? I got a new plant for my tank and it arrived with roots growing on some of the leaves. a month or so later, and they've started to sprout some greenery. I picked them off of the original plant just in case they were harming it, and planted them in the substrate some distance away. They're relatively translucent, and the largest one(not pictured) is about 3-4 inches tall. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
502 Posts
It looks like what you may find at Petsmart labeled Bolbitis heteroclita. I believe that it is one of those plants that those in the know will label as "not a true aquatic". In other words, it doesn't do well in the long run fully immersed. I think that you should pull the plant's rhizome up out of the gravel or it will probably rot on you, Just rest the rhizome on the gravel and tuck the little black roots under the gravel to hold it in place. Maybe someone with more specifics will come along to help out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that you should pull the plant's rhizome up out of the gravel or it will probably rot on you, Just rest the rhizome on the gravel and tuck the little black roots under the gravel to hold it in place. Maybe someone with more specifics will come along to help out.
Actually, there only seemed to be roots on these guys and not a true rhizome. I don't have too much experience with aquatic plants, but it looked to me as if there were just the little black roots. Maybe there is one and it is still too small for me to identify, but I'll certainly keep that in mind, thank you. They do look a lot like what you suggested, and the growth pattern is similar to a fern. I'll take a few out of the water to see how they do over the next week or so!

Here's a picture of the leaves that have been growing longer

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.