The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am on the hunt for a true SAE. After research I am looking for Crossocheilus Langei or Crossocheilus oblongus/siamensis.

Of course all fish stores who have something label it Oblongus. Or something nonspecified.

These pics look like Crossocheilus atrilimes to me but I am not 100% sure. They can’t be Langei because there is not black spot on the bottom. The biggest ones were quite large, bout 5 inches, really thick.

I know the difference between the false SAE or Garra cambodgiensis and also Flying Fox aka Epalzeorhynchus kallopterus.

But the others are extremely are to identify. And I don’t even know what Crossocheilus citripinnis is (?).

Finding a real SAE is so hard. I heard azgardens sells legit Langei, anyone know if this is true? Aquahuna also sells an 8 pack of ‘Oblongus’, from their pics no black spot on belly so it must be Oblongus or Atrilimes...or very young Langei since I believe they need to be mature to show the spot on belly.

Anyways, take a loot at the pics I took at the only LFS I could find SAE at and let me know if you concur it’s atrilimes like I think, and please tell me if you know where I can get real oblongus or Langei.

Here is a reference pic I found on the internet but not sure of its accuracy but atrilimis is the only one with yellow fins, which the pics have above. But I have seen pics of Oblongus with yellow fins on the Internet so not sure if people are just misinformed.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
The SAE in your pictures look like artilime to me, but young fat oblongus look like artilimes too.

langei or oblongus, I can't tell the difference when they are sub-adult.
Adult langei is big, cigar shape body, longer snort, and, spot on belly. Adult oblongus appearance and size is kind of between the adult artilimes and langei.
Sometimes a young and fat oblongus, looks like artilimes....
Artilimes on the other hand, are easy to distinguished even when they are young because of spindle shape body, and the adults are normally the shortest/smallest of the three.
Langei is more timid between the three, spend longer time suspending in the water at one spot doing butterfly dance, rest of the time cleaning the algae, langei is more dedicated to cleaning plant surface, and nibble BBA.

there is reticulatus too, but gets really big..
these algae eating fish all doing great job cleaning algae only if they are young, when they are big they still doing good job cleaning the plants if not over feeding, and they can prevent but don't think they can fix the algae problem if there is algae outbreak or the tank is in the condition of incoming algae outbreak...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is what I suspected. I’ve been looking at the reticulatus as well. I may just get them. Much easier to identify. The tank is big enough and the tank has edges of leaves, mainly dead or dying ones with some algae but it never spreads.

I’ve got an almost perfect balance and instead of messing with everything and causing a big breakout I’d rather try some maintenance/prevent fish and I enjoy them as well.

Wish I could find some Langei but it’s near impossible in my area and online.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts