The Planted Tank Forum banner

help identify these fauna

897 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  randpost
I picked up a 20 gallon tank today from craigslist for cheap with an aqua clear 30 on it and dual T5ho lighting for a shrimp tank. The person never told me that the tank had fish and plants in it. So I now have what seems to be well taken care of fish shrimp and snails. I just don't know what they are except for the 10 neon tetra. All I have owned so far are Black Neon Tetra.

6 of these about an inch or so in length:

8 of these about the size of a dime:

you can see some type of shrimp climbing over the snail also. There were 9 of those.

What are they? What do I feed them?

I have flakes, micro pellets, algae wafers, blood worms at my current disposal.
See less See more
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
The fish look like some sort of cory or similar fish: the shrimp are probably ghost shrimp: and I have no guesses on the snails. The cories will prefer a meaty diet, the snails will likely appreciate the wafers, and the shrimp will eat just about anything but may be eaten themselves.
I agree with Grah. I think the snails are blue mysteries?
Nice bonus with your purchase :)

-Stef*
I also agree with the others. Those are Corydoras paleatus. The snails look like mystery snails.
Thank you for the replies.

Are these snails considered pests? I hear so many complaining about snails that come with plant orders is why I ask.

I think I am going to give away the Corydoras. I keep reading that a substrate such as mine isn't good for them. The snails are pretty cool though. One of the snails has 3 or 4 tiny snails crawling over it. uh oh.
Thank you for the replies.

Are these snails considered pests? I hear so many complaining about snails that come with plant orders is why I ask.

I think I am going to give away the Corydoras. I keep reading that a substrate such as mine isn't good for them. The snails are pretty cool though. One of the snails has 3 or 4 tiny snails crawling over it. uh oh.
No the snails you want to look out for are pond snails. Ramshorn snails can be a pain too but they really don't touch the plants. They can just look unsightly when the tank is infested with them. Mystery snails are good for cleaning the glass and plant leaves. Nerite snails are even better cleaners then mystery snails :)
No the snails you want to look out for are pond snails. Ramshorn snails can be a pain too but they really don't touch the plants. They can just look unsightly when the tank is infested with them. Mystery snails are good for cleaning the glass and plant leaves. Nerite snails are even better cleaners then mystery snails :)
Thank you. I will keep them!

Hopefully everything makes it through the stressful day they had.
Those cories are awesome, best part of the bonus, and appear to be doing fine in that planted substrate.
However, I'd be concerned about the little snails on the mysteries, unless they are baby mysteries. Or you welcome all snails.

-Stef*
Those cories are awesome, best part of the bonus, and appear to be doing fine in that planted substrate.
However, I'd be concerned about the little snails on the mysteries, unless they are baby mysteries. Or you welcome all snails.

-Stef*
I guess I will see if the sharp gravel hurt the Corydoras. Plus I have a PH of around 7.2 which is a little out of the recommended range from what I read. Hopefully that won't hurt them as well. Next water change I will try to lower my PH a little by blending water.

I don't know if I welcome all snails. When they get bigger I will try and identify them here if they don't look similar. I don't want anything that will eat my plants or uproot my HC carpet. I favor flora over fauna.
Those are peppered Cory catfish. A pH around 7 is good for them. The snails are mystery snails. They are usually not pests and will actually do a good job of cleaning up the tank. The shrimp are most likely ghost shrimp which are pretty hardy and do good in almost all tank. Everything in the tank will eat just about all the food you listed. Good luck with them!
The peppered cories will do just fine in a pH of 7.2. I've found the paleatus and the trilineatus cories to be very hardy and will put up with less than ideal conditions. Keep them for a while - I promise they'll grow on you. Six of them is a lot of fun to have around (they definitely believe in the more the merrier). Also, the gravel won't be a problem - seems like they've done fine in there so far, and at least in my experience they're fine with a few soft spots to root around (and that carpet will do just fine).
The peppered cories will do just fine in a pH of 7.2. I've found the paleatus and the trilineatus cories to be very hardy and will put up with less than ideal conditions. Keep them for a while - I promise they'll grow on you. Six of them is a lot of fun to have around (they definitely believe in the more the merrier). Also, the gravel won't be a problem - seems like they've done fine in there so far, and at least in my experience they're fine with a few soft spots to root around (and that carpet will do just fine).
Good to hear. The Cory's and the ghost shrimp are fun to watch, I would like to keep them.

I've been monitoring them since this afternoon, and they are so active and fun to watch. My lighting is pretty strong so I have some frogbit from a forum member on the way to give some cover from the light and to help control nitrates. I believe I need to reduce my Co2 since it's on the high side. They seem to be shooting to the top of the tank every 10 minutes or so. I oxygenate during my dark cycle so that may be enough. time will tell.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.