The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Two fancy goldfish and two black moors.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks so much for reading. I have never had a sick fish before and am mildly freaking out.

I have a 36 liter tank with two fancy goldfish and a black moor. They are a fantastic bunch who are always energetic and are about 1 year old. I was at the pet store picking up some supplies for them and decided to get a second black moor. This little guy was so cute! I had never introduced a single fish into a new home like this before and hoped the little guy would be comfortable in his new home.

I bought him on the 15th. As expected he was a little shy at first but after 2 or 3 days it looked like he joined the family and was swimming with them. Sometimes he would go hide in the corner. I thought he might have been a bit shy, or stressed from his tank-mates and needed a break.

Fast forward to 22nd/23rd ish and I noticed he suddenly didn’t seem to swim around so much, and he wasn’t swimming with the group at all anymore. He looked sad. I thought he might have been stressed so I went and got him his own cave to hide in.

Then 24th-ish I realized he had was clamping his dorsal fin a lot and he wasn’t leaving his cave at all.
I did a half water change and checked the ph and temp. Everything was fine.

Today 25th, I just got home from work late (I’m in Asia - so time / date difference) and he wasn’t moving again.
I finally saw sickness on him. I have never had a sick fish before. All of my other fish are completely fine.
I have attached a few photos. From checking google, I don’t think it is ick, but I’m not sure. It looks more like a white fuzz. But there seems to be several kinds. He barely swims around and I’m worried I won’t have enough time to try and treat him.
I pulled him out and put him aside. He hasn’t eaten since this morning...

Please help, and thank you for reading! I hope to run to the store first thing tomorrow and buy whatever he needs.

Possibly salt? Chemical? Both?

White fuzz on tail and left gill
Bird Hood Gesture Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Bird Hood Tints and shades Beak Wing

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It could be Saprolegnia. But its around the gills so it could be Branchiomyces as well. There are white dots that look like Ich. I can't tell but the mold is definitely some kind of fungus.

You might have a few things. You definitely have at least one fungus. Hard to diagnose exactly.

Without going into too much detail, I would dose Malachite Green and Methylene Blue if I had this type of issue. Maybe create a solution in which you bathe the affected fish. Afterwards, do a water change and lightly dose the water column.

A mild salt bath could help as well. It will kill some pathogens and encourage slime coat development which helps protect your fish against infection.

It may be too late for your goldfish but please practice quarantine procedures when introducing anything into your tank in the future. This will help protect your current livestock from infection from new livestock.

·
Registered
Two fancy goldfish and two black moors.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be Saprolegnia. But its around the gills so it could be Branchiomyces as well. There are white dots that look like Ich. I can't tell but the mold is definitely some kind of fungus.

You might have a few things. You definitely have at least one fungus. Hard to diagnose exactly.

Without going into too much detail, I would dose Malachite Green and Methylene Blue if I had this type of issue. Maybe create a solution in which you bathe the affected fish. Afterwards, do a water change and lightly dose the water column.

A mild salt bath could help as well. It will kill some pathogens and encourage slime coat development which helps protect your fish against infection.

It may be too late for your goldfish but please practice quarantine procedures when introducing anything into your tank in the future. This will help protect your current livestock from infection from new livestock.

Thank you so much for reading.
After waking up the fungus has expanded and is clearly visible. He’s not looking good, but I’m still hopeful.
I went to my local shop first thing this morning and they were sold out of both the Blue and the Green.
I have to work and can’t it to the other shop today. :/ So I went ahead and am trying the bath salt method.
Hopefully he gets well enough to get his appetite and some energy back. If he makes it these next few days and the salt doesn’t help with the fungus then I’ll try for the Methylene Blue.
Many thanks again.
I hope he makes it and will definitely strictly follow those quarantine procedures.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Methlyene Blue and Malachite Green are often the main ingredients in common ich and fungus medicines. Check the back of the bottle it might be what you need!

If you use salt, make sure not to use table or cooking salt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.