The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help - Identify illness - Fungus?

2477 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  jeepguy
Hello,

I just recently had a molly with fungus and a minnow with open sores/missing scales and treated the tank with Fungus Guard. The molly lost the fungus and the minnow died a couple days later. I did 2 treatments worth = 3 tablets for 30 gallon for 4 days, 25% water change then retreated with 3 tablets for 4 days.

1-1.5 weeks later and the same molly showed signs of fungus again and tail rot. A few more mollies with tail rot too. I'm retreating with the remaining Fungus Guard and tomorrow will be day 4 of round one.

The molly originally with fungus, no longer has it, but now a new Molly does. One of my larger ones. Here are photos so you can help identify what this is or confirm that it is fungus. It almost seemed this fish starting showing symptoms after starting treatment.

If you suspect its something else like ick or parasites, what medication should I use with Corys in the tank?

Thanks for any help you can give! I will be able to purchase new or more of the same med tomorrow.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
516 Posts
Your fish has ich.

I will say one thing I have learned about ich over the years.

Ich is highly contagious... But only if your fish are not healthy, or are stressed out. I have treated ich, inside a fully stocked tank, with only one fish who caught it. That one fish only caught it because I was dumb and didn't use a quarantine tank and it was a new addition. When I treat ich, since I know all my fish are healthy, all I do is crank up the temperature and let it burn through its life cycle faster.

When I was young I had dirty tanks with bad water quality and many times when I had a fish that caught ich I would lose multiple fish to it in the end, even using meds. Now a days having ich doesn't bother me a bit. I'm serious when I say a healthy fish just doesn't catch ich, their immune system will stop it.

I'm telling you this because I basically want you to know don't panic. If you have cared well for your fish up to this point it isn't going to be a big deal. If you do indeed have healthy fish I highly recommend going the no medication method. Use some heat, and if you so choose aquarium salt. Crank the heat to around 86, your fish will get worse for a few days then suddenly be 100x better after about 5 days. During that time feed them well and keep the water clean, and everything should be easy.

If your fish are not healthy or you have your doubts, go with the meds suggested above.

· Registered
516 Posts
I was going to add some more info but I think coralbandit pretty much answered everything exactly how I would have. Vacuum the tank a ton, do plenty of clean water changes, and feed em well and you should be good. I don't use meds for ich so I can't advise you on that aspect, good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.