The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A hobbyist is attempting to sell me the following two plants, one of which is seen flowering under water. However, I have no idea what they are (hence their care requirements) and neither does the seller (though he/she told me they grow fine in low tech setup).

An ID would be appreciated so that I can look up the suitability to my aquarium.

The IDs requested are for the large plants in the two pictures (ignore the cryptocoryne sp. coming up from the lower left side in the second picture).

·
Registered
312 Posts
They're both species of sword plant (Echinodorus) but beyond that it's hard to say. They're easy to grow, get pretty large, and like having root tabs at their base. Looks like they're doing fine so far.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Is it normal for it to flower underwater? Will the flowers produce viable seeds or will the stalk just rot away over time (as in anubias sp.)?

Based on your description, I will need a solid root tab regimen for these to remain in good shape. What about lighting needs? Are all Echinodorus sp. the same (I used to have "bheleri" at one point and grew it in low light quite well)?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Is it normal for it to flower underwater? Will the flowers produce viable seeds or will the stalk just rot away over time (as in anubias sp.)?

Based on your description, I will need a solid root tab regimen for these to remain in good shape. What about lighting needs? Are all Echinodorus sp. the same (I used to have "bheleri" at one point and grew it in low light quite well)?
They will produce plantlets and are likely to rise out of the tank, wait for the plantlets to grow roots and cut the stalk at each one and plant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts