The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I kinda finally figure out what's the light on my 140g tank. It's Helios T5 Florescent Lamp, Model HT-II 36W-R. The bulb says Pink-Plant Grow.

I have no idea if this is T5-NO or T5-HO. Anyone knows what it is? also, should this be enough for a 140g with 24 inches height? Should I get a new light since it's been over 2 years?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If it just says T5 on it, it's probably NO. What length is it? A four foot t5ho is 54 watts. T5s should be replaced about every year if you are concerned about their output.

Brand new that would only be quite low light on a 24" tank. A 54 watter would just squeak you into medium light if you have a good reflector.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have seen data that shows that T5HO bulbs will last at least 2 years before the light intensity drops significantly. PC bulbs do need to be replaced more often, and T8/T12 bulbs last about a year.

I can't see any 140 gallon tank, only 24 inches high that would use a single four foot long bulb to light it. The front to back depth would be too great for one bulb to evenly light the substrate. What are the tank dimensions?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen data that shows that T5HO bulbs will last at least 2 years before the light intensity drops significantly. PC bulbs do need to be replaced more often, and T8/T12 bulbs last about a year.

I can't see any 140 gallon tank, only 24 inches high that would use a single four foot long bulb to light it. The front to back depth would be too great for one bulb to evenly light the substrate. What are the tank dimensions?
Yeah, that's what I thought. My tank is 72x24x18.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That appears to be a 4 pin PC bulb - with 5/8 inch diameter twin tubes - 36 watts, 36 inches long. I have no idea how much light you will get from this.
Hoppy, are you talking about my current Helios light? Btw, on your chart, is the T12 are the same as the T8?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.