The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago, at a fish auction, I purchased this mystery plant. It was labeled as water sprite, but does not look like any pictures I have seen.

Can you help me ID this plant please?

Original plant taken 2 weeks ago

Mystery plant growing emersed, top view

Mystery plant emersed, bottom view

Mystery plant submerged

As you can see it has nearly doubled to tripled in size in less than two weeks.

PS:if the water looks a little green that is because I had just spent an hour scraping the algae off every surface of the tank. I am now in the middle of a 24hr blackout having done a 50% water change. I know I should have taken the pictures before I scraped the algae, but I didn't think of it at the time.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looks like the floating variety of water sprite to me. You are correct, it is a very fast grower given when enough nutrients and warmth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the floating variety of water sprite to me. You are correct, it is a very fast grower given when enough nutrients and warmth.
If it's water sprite that's great, it just seems to me that every water sprite image I've seen has leaves that are heavily lobbed almost to the point that each lobe is one to two millimeters wide.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hi hh,

Honestly, I'm not sure what it is. It looks similar to Water Sprite/Water Wisteria, but very different also. It may be an emmersed form that will change over to what is normally seen--again, I don't know....However,

You may want to post this in the "General Planted Tank Discussion" forum. Technically that's where plant IDs are supposed to go, but You will get a lot more people seeing it--much more traffic.

The plants in the picture don't actually look like a "Stem Plant"--which is what Water Wisteria/Sprite is....

HTH

·
Registered
198 Posts
So then, is the consensus that it is water sprite?
Yup, Thats Water Sprite Emersed form on top and you can usually tell by the size and shape of the leaves but even more important is the "feel" of the leaves which we can't tell here...

The emersed form usually has tougher, thicker leaves(not by much though) than the sub form, and they are shorter from base of the leave stem to tip than a "normal" sub form leaf which can get VERY large indeed.

IMHO this is what I see from the pics, and I do not know of other leaves that have this type of small plantlettes growing out at that exact point. The Emersed form will lose the old leaves eventually but the new leaves should grow out so fast you wont know what to do with them all.

Great plant for taking up space and getting rid of excessive nutrients fast.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm new to planted tanks, but have done a lot of reading about plants, and that leads me to think this is the floating form of water sprite as well. Here's a bit of info with a botanical latin name: Floating Water Sprite.

Don't be fooled by the dark green of the leaves in that picture. I've Googled the latin name and found pictures of a light green plant like yours. Maybe the one in the pic at the link above was grown in different conditions, maybe it's more mature or possibly it's the lighting of the picture itself making it look darker. Look more at the leaf shape and growth habit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone. I think with all of the evidence that was presented, I can rest easily knowing that this plant it watersprite (not that it was keeping me up at night). It is just being a crazy biology major I am a little anal retentive when it comes to knowing the names of my plants.

Thank you everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.