The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a planted (low tech) 50 gallon that I'v been messing with for a while now. I'm currently having some hair algae that I just can't beat.
Light is Fluval 3.0 with a pretty weak schedule. I've been backing it off and trying different combinations to curb the hair algae.
Substrate is medium BDBS. I do use root tabs.
I do weekly +60% water changes with RO not RODI water. I'm currently reminerlizing with Seachem equilibrium, Alkaline buffer and Acid buffer.
Target dGH is 5 and dKH is 3 with a PH of 7.
At water changes I dose a all in one liquid fert at the recommended does and thats about it.
I recently picked up a bottle of Dustins Growth Juice and randomly dose this.
I want switch over to all dry ferts so I can know and control what is going into my system.

The plan is to eliminate the equilibrium with CaSO4 and MgSO4. No idea of the ratio, Looks like 3:1 is a common target?
I plan to eliminate the Alkaline and Acid buffers. Just let dKH and PH be what its going to be.
I want to does all my macros at water change and then possibly does Micros daily.

Here is my issue.
If it makes sense, I want to does only what I need and just enough of it.
I have no clue what is a good minimal macro and micro setup.
I also have no clue what I should target (PPM) to dose each.

Are the nutrients in the list below complete enough? Should I add or take away any?

Rectangle Font Number Magenta Pattern

Here is my current light setup.

Water Atmosphere Sky Azure World
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Electric blue

Once I can get a understanding of dry dosing and funds to do a proper stand. I have a 60" 150 gallon I'll be setting up with Co2 injection.

Thanks in advance!
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Vegetation Aquatic plant

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've read some of Tom Barr's Estimative Index information over on the Barr Report. If I remember correctly, he stated 1/4th to 1/3rd of recommended EI dosing can be used for low energy tanks. I would start there. That said, I front load my tanks and just use left over water to use on my low energy tanks. I have no problems with these tanks, I just lower the micro dose significantly.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
If you post of pic of the tank it would help people help you. If the tank is just crypts, swords, ferns, etc. then you need very little in the way of fertilization.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you post of pic of the tank it would help people help you. If the tank is just crypts, swords, ferns, etc. then you need very little in the way of fertilization.
Hi Greg. Ive actually been chatting with you on FB messenger. I was trying to not take up to much of your time. :) I'll post a picture of the tank, but I do plan on heading to more HT once I get a grasp on which elements are necessary and how to properly does them.

I stumbled on the 2hr aquarist website last night and it helped to make a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Hi Greg. Ive actually been chatting with you on FB messenger. I was trying to not take up to much of your time. :) I'll post a picture of the tank, but I do plan on heading to more HT once I get a grasp on which elements are necessary and how to properly does them.

I stumbled on the 2hr aquarist website last night and it helped to make a lot of sense to me.
Send me a PM so I know who you are on FB.

And that site is filled with great up to date information. Dennis Wong does a great job with the site, and his results speak for themselves.

Once you spend some time there things will begin to make sense. It takes a while but once you do you will realize it's a lot easier than you thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts