The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i left for school today and everything was good and eating fine and ALIVE i get home and one of my fancy tailed guppies was dead... now at 8:30 PM about 5 hours after im home from school i look in my tank and i see ANOTHER one dead?? i dont know whats going on i have never had 2 fish die in one day for no given reason... and ideas on whats going on?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
filter is fine... just tested water a week ago... did a water change after the test... i have never used any kind of water conditioners... i only use algaefix by API and some times ammonia "remover"

·
Registered
195 Posts
How big is your tank? How old is the tank? What are your nitrates at? PH? What is the temperature of the tank at?

You should always use some type of water conditioner when doing water changes to remove any Chlorine and Chloramine from the water.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have NEVER used any conditioner on any of my tanks before... its a 29G i just set the tank up a few weeks ago... i forget what the nitrates and ph was at but they where fine the temp is set at about 75 F. the reason for the water change was for the weekly cleaning or every few weeks(its a sand bottom tank so it gets dirty fast)

·
Registered
195 Posts
It sounds like your tank may be cycling still. During this time, it is important to monitor your water conditions frequently. I usually do this on a daily basis when cycling a tank. Chances are, your ammonia or something else is up to high.
I would do another water test and see what the results are immediately. Then do a water change afterwards to fix the condition. The amount of water you change would need to be based on the results of the water test.

How many fish do you have in the tank and what kinds?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Why do you need ammonia remover? Before I new about cycling, I was sold ammonia remover, AmmoLock, inserts for my filter, and an array of other things. None of them worked. It wasn't until I bought BioSpira that everything turned around. I never needed ammonia remover again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks and nice to know but i just looked a little closer... only the female is alive... they where all fancy tailed guppies... do you know why this could be that only the female is alive

·
Registered
544 Posts
It looks like this tank is cycling and the fish are poisoned by ammonia and nitrites. The female being alive means she is more hardy and healthy than the others, it probably is just a coincidence.

Change your water every other day until it finishes cycling. I don´t know the conditions of your tap water, but if I were you I´d use water conditioner to rid it of chlorine, chloramines, ammonia and whatever else you have.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Never had fancy tail guppies, but do they nip on the algae? I made the newb mistake of pouring algaefix in my aquarium once and found 1 dead pleco and 2 dead cory's shortly after. I never use that crap anymore.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As far as chemicals, the only thing I have ever really used is water conditioner. I use some other tank additives like buffer in my cichlid tank and peat moss in my planted tank, but nothing else. I have always been very hesitant to do so. No telling what effects they will have. I would save them as a last resort.

Have you tested your water yet? What was your Ammonia level at? How about your Nitrates and PH?

How many fish did you loose?

Sorry for your losses.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Depending on how long they were dead and floating, the ammonia level could be skewed a bit. Always use a dechlorinator unless you are adding a few gallons to a huge tank. Then it doesn't really effect much. You could also fill up a bucket and let it sit overnight to reach room temperature. That is what I usually do. Fill up a bucket the day before a WC. But i still add a few drops of dechlorinator.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i lost 4 and they couldnt have been in there to long... they got stuck you my filter though and i for get what every thing was at.. im just going to leaave it be with plants in it for a few more days and see what happens

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.