The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help, I Accidentally Bred Amano Shrimp

1978 5
So I accidentally started a 30gal planted tank a few months ago while trying to grow lotuses, and it's turned into somewhat of a shrimp-and-tetra paradise.

Today when gazing upon the accidental fruit of my labors, I noticed my largest Amano shrimp fanning its underbelly- and spotted clusters of olive-toned eggs. I know little to nothing about shrimp, so I need some help.

1. Is this actually a true Amano? I know there are tons of imposters (see linked photo). I bought this girl at a local Petco, so I am pretty skeptical. She acts and moves and looks like one, but I am an amateur so I wouldn't know the difference.

2. I have a 2.5 gallon quarantine tank that I can clean up and use as a breeder. How the frick do I get it to 1.024 salinity? That seems to be the most common success salinity for those lucky enough to have bred Amanos.

Thank you for any help I can get, I'm doing the 'parental panic' thing.
Bird Adaptation Wing Tail Feather
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Congratulations! To get the salinity to 1.024, I suggest buying a refractometer, RODI water, and marine aquarium salt (Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, etc.). Also a small heater as well, and some sort of live microalgal culture such as Rhodomonas.

I didn't even know there were amano imposters, but I bet zoidberg knows!

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
From reading previous threads its very difficult to successfully raise the larva. Its not uncommon to get amanos to breed but the larva once they hatch do not survive unless they can quickly reach water of the proper salinity. From memory I believe the trick was to very very very very carefully watch the eggs development and remove the mama shrimp just before the eggs hatch.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If I recall correctly from a different thread on here, it's remarkably difficult to raise the larva. They need to be in a saline environment to hatch, and then slowly change to brackish and fresh as they grow. Basically, they can't be in fresh water as babies and they can't be in brackish or salt water as adults..

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I recommend using this thread as a reference. I do have other sources but would say this is a good starting point.

And yes, there are imposters. The imposters might be Australian Amanos - Caridina typus - or a similar species.... which breed the same as far as I can tell.

Yes, you have true amanos, Caridina multidentata. (or at least that girl is... and the male she bred with)

@JJ09 and @jellopuddinpop they hatch in freshwater.... and the offspring are quite miniscule... but they need to be transferred to saltwater within 7 days... preferably within 3 days.... they don't generally survive past 7 days, if they even make it TO 7 days...

If you want to move the female over to the other tank, I would recommend waiting to do so until the eggs are about ready to hatch (3-5 weeks - eggs will change color/become clear/have dots). Be sure to have the new tank set up as a temporary tank. Once the eggs hatch, you can remove her and either add double strength saltwater (say, you have 1 gallon of freshwater, you add 1 gallon of saltwater that is twice as strong as the salinity you want it to be to get to the final desired salinity) or you add the correct amount of salt to the 2 gallons of water and stir it in, with babies still in tank.

If the female ever drops her eggs (easiest to find in a bare bottom tank/container), you can always treat them like brine shrimp eggs and tumble them with some air. They'll still hatch.

I can't promise you'll have success, but you can always certainly try! (I've had no luck myself thus far....)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.