The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm all for nature ways of dealing with issues in shrimp tanks, but for hydras and planaria, I won't think twice before using fenbendazole/panacur. I have overdosed/underdosed and never had any issue with the shrimps in tanks, and always got rid of the pest. To be honest, I don't even do large water change after 3 days, I stick with my regular WC schedule (10% every 10 to 14 days) after dosing. But, this is just my experience, follow the instructions if you have not used it to be safe.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
@randyl Do you have any suggestions around how long to wait after treatement/water changes before I'd want to reintroduce my rabbit snails if I went the fenbendazole route?

EDIT: I'm guessing I could just try reintroducing a couple of pond snails before I try the rabbit snails.
See what Jadenlea said. If you get a NH3 spike then for sure do WC, for hydra it's probably not a big problem, more likely for planaria.

I don't have many snails that I care about in my shrimp tanks but I haven't noticed any population decline after dose. However, I heard it will kill nerties but I don't have any.

@Kunsthure, if you figure out, let me know. They often come with new substrate/DW/plants/shrimps I would think. So now I treat any new plants I get in fenbendazole for 3 days before introducing them to my tank and since then I have much less hydra issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts