I know, I just posted about this title right?
So. Fishless cycle. 5 gallon bucket nothing but water eheim 2213. I have been adding ammonia for 5-6 weeks now. Ammonia spiked, then went to zero. Then nitrite spiked. I have been monitoring and have added ammonia 1-2ml ammonia every 3-4 days to keep ammonia bacteria alive. Once ammonia went zero I stopped measuring it.
Yesterday, I measure nitrite and it is zeroed out. decided to measure all params. Measured ammonia and it is off the scale?! Measure nitrate and it too is off the scale. That I expected since I did no water change but I did not expect any ammonia as it has been 5 days since my last ammonia top off. I added some prime to see if it would change the ammonia reading at all and it didn't.
My plan is to do a full water change. Rechange that water again to flush out the filter water and then measure all params. If my double water change zeros everything out or close to it, I will add one ml of ammonia, test in 1 hour, then will test all params every 12 hours thereafter to see what happens.
This is all happening in my garage in FL so the temp has fluctuated a bit. From 80 F down to 40 F but has mostly been in the upper 70s. I am kind of worried something happened to the ammonia bacteria.