The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I forgot: It was not ammonia remover it was a bacterial thing.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Plecos produce a lot of waste, and you have 3 in a 29g. Root tabs that leak will also spike your nitrates. Best thing you can do is continual water changes until it levels out.

Try removing sources of organic decay, as those contribute to your ppm.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The fast way? Wash your pre-filter and even some of the bio media if its overly caked in muck. If not? then leave it- you never want to overly wash bio media. Make a big water change and the free flow from the filter ..that should drop the ammonia problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
469 Posts
I looked at the ingredients in my root tabs: lots and lot of nitrogens

I don't know what kind I added but they are from PetSmart
Most likely it was either API root tabs (flat brownish and grainy) or seachem flourish tabs (kinda pyramid shaped, black and smooth) if you got them at PetSmart. The only thing they could potentially release is nitrate, not so much nitrite, but I have never run across those problems with either of those brands (osmocote capsules are a whole different ball game). I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying I've never experienced it. You need nitrogen to grow plants. The 3 basic elements added in most root tabs NPK or nitrogen, phos, and potassium along with common traces (iron, magnesium, boron etc). These tabs need to be pushed into the substrate and inch or more to effectively do their jobs on the roots. Not saying you didn't do this, just giving a disclaimer so you don't wind up throwing off your tank balance and to give advice to anyone that jumped head long into something they're trying to catch up on learning now and might be perusing this thread.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
API root tabs is what they were. Maybe I just added to many.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Maybe, though IMO it's more likely the pleco throwing off the balance. Once you've got fully seeded filter(s) your biological filter should be bolstered enough to handle your bioload, though as I've mentioned, you may need a secondary filter to provide more room for bb to colonizes for the waste amounts 3 pleco will put out into a 29 gallon as they are usually taller with less gravel surface space to provide substrate filtration.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you all for posting. Your posts have been really helpful. My ammonia is now 0 and the nitrite is 2 ppm and lowering.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you’re still waiting for the nitrites to go down then id get some more plants to support your cycle.
Plants like water wisteria could really help you.
Something like an extra sponge filter should help oxygenate the water and also speed up the cycle by growing more beneficial bacteria.
Doing regular water changes would be really good.
Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Start cycling some biomedia in a bucket (Dr. Barr's idea). Get that Ammonia-Nitrogen out of your tank. This is the hour for the true hobbyist to stand up and keep doing his water changes. You're not going to solve this problem in the tank. Just keep it livable.

EDIT:
Thank you all for posting. Your posts have been really helpful. My ammonia is now 0 and the nitrite is 2 ppm and lowering.
"Oh, well that's different. Never mind."
-Gilda Radner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts