The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I put root tabs in my aquarium to help plants growth. About three days later my nitrite spiked to 5 ppm. Then two days ago I did a water test and found my ammonia was up to 1 ppm. I don`t know whats happening I only have three fish! I have been doing water changes every two days since my nitrite spike and it will go down to 3 ppm only to spring back up to 5 ppm. I put in ammonia remover and a phosphate and nitrite controlling fake moss ball thing. I don't know what to do!!! Please help!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes before i added my first fish i did a water test

·
Registered
369 Posts
But did you cycle it- there isn't going to really be any ammonia to kick off your cycle unless you actively add something to trigger the nitrogen process to begin. Some people add ammonia, some people fish food, and then there's me- I prefer using a table shrimp. If you didn't use a cycling process chances are when you added your fish you had just kicked off your cycle. You might be in your first cycle now.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ok, so you did. It's still a possibility adding fish caused a mini cycle or plant death could be a possibility. The best course of action, IMO, because of your situation I would do frequent water changes of 30-50% daily until you can get your ammo and nitrites under control. Have you checked your nitrate level?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes it is less than 5 ppm

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ok, so if I'm guessing right, you may see a rise in that before you see a drop in ammonia and then nitrite. Did this start happening a few days after you added your fish?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the nitrite and ammo or the nitrate? the nitrite occured after the first fish

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yea, so chances are you set off a mini cycle. Best course of action is definitely daily water changes and very close observation of your fish. Is this the tank with the clown pleco?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes. none of the three plecos in this tank seem like they are bothered by the high levels.

Reactions: FishGod21

·
Registered
369 Posts
I guarantee you they are stressed. 3 plecos would definitely set off a cycle when added to a newly cycled tank. Monitor them closely. I wish I could send you a couple pieces of my sponge filter to seed your tank with, but if you know anyone with a fully mature tank that could spare some medium for you it very well could help. Daily water changes and patience, my friend, will get you where you need to go. Don't go crazy adding stuff to fix it, it'll only make it worse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would it be safe for me to add some shrimp?

·
Registered
987 Posts
would it be safe for me to add some shrimp?
No. Don't add anything to the tank until Ammonia and Nitrite are zero. These are toxic chemicals that livestock produce, and you need to have a fully functional biological filter before adding any new species.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your help I will post again when I am successful at controlling the levels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You could add some beneficial bacteria in a bottle to help things along. I have used Nutrafin Cycle but there are a number of them. API Quick Start is another. It takes a couple of weeks to establish the bacteria.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Regular old party platter shrimp... Not living shrimp!! Let it rot to build up ammonia, take it out when you hit 4-5 ppm ammonia.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You could add some beneficial bacteria in a bottle to help things along.
I just went out and bought a nitrate/ammo remover and some liquid ferts. I hope I can bring down the levels.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I strongly suggest against using additives unless you 100% have to right now. You need for the cycle to play out or else you will be stuck like this indefinitely.... Use sparingly and only if your livestock is struggling. You are going to need to get through cycling before you worry about ferts. You may wind up losing your primrose.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts