The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it was cracked when I put it in, was in for 10 min and boom it blew up. What is inside the heater, all that metalic like stuff? This is a tank I will be using for Hyrbid shrimp F2 plus. The tank is almost fully cycled and is all over my amazonia substrate. Should I worry about it, I am going to vacume out as much as I can but I know there will still be some.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Most commonly, aquarium heaters are immersion style heaters,[5] these heaters consist of a glass tube containing a heating element wound around a ceramic or glass insert. Some glass immersion heaters also contain sand, and most, but not all, are fully submersible.[1] The glass tube also contains an adjustable thermostat which turns the heating element on to maintain the required temperature.[1] This thermostat is often a bimetallic strip; because the strip contains two metals, the metals will expand at different rates when the temperature rises, causing the strip to bend. This strip carries the current, but breaks the current at the correct temperature. The setting of this bimetallic strip can be adjusted.[4][6] More advanced thermostats may use microchip technology.[4] A small light in the heater is often included to indicate operation.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What brand & model number is this heater?

The dust particles could be melted solder or burned electrical parts.

I've had a heater crack/melt on me for not having enough water.

Do what you can to clean up the residue. Hopefully it doesn't affect your F2 inverts.

Best wishes....

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Have had this happen when heater was placed in cool/cold water, and then turned up,plugged in before allowing the glass,element, to sit in tank for half hour before operating.
Gravel vac and net were then the tool's needed to clean up glass shard's.
Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds like you need a new heater. From what I read it sounds like it was cracked, and then broke/exploded in the tank? I would not use that in ANY tank, it's not worth killing all your shrimp; buy a new heater.

It could just be temperature differences, did you have the heater turned on before you put it in? How cold was the water? Where on the heater was the break? What brand of heater do you have? Questions, questions!

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brand new, from Aquatop no the tank was filled temp was 66, let the heater sit in it for 1+ hour then I plugged it in set it to 68 and left. 2 hours later I heard a loud pop from the fish tank room and there it was all exploded in the tank. The water temp was now 86, so as I think it shorted out and then blew up.

Was not cracked, or I did not see one. Just exploded in the tank. As there is no way it can be used again so it will not be going back in, as I am not that dumb any way.... I ahve several heaters for spares I buy new ones every year because I do not want any going bad and cooking my live stock

The material is not sharp, but does not seem to be round. More of a dull feel. But is black and metalic.

I hope it is not bad fo me or the fish. As I gravel vaced out as much as I could get, but the pieces are tiny. All glass removed, but when I started the siphon on the eheim I did get some in my mouth and swallowed some.

I called aquatop they were not 100% sure what it is, but they have been told from the factory it is a silica like sand... I am having them get more info on it

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've tried many heaters in the past and I've exploded about two or three in my time. I now swear by jager eheim heaters. When I do water changes I let the water go all the way down below the heaters, and then refill, and have never had one blow so far. Maybe the laboratory quality glass has something to do with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.