The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am currently staying in a tropical country and I would like to have a Shrimp tank that house Sakura Shrimps. This would mean that I have a fan that runs directly above my tank planted with Java Ferns on Cholla Wood and 5 Miniature Moss Balls, with a filter gives a good run. However, I realised two issues with my tank with my fan running 24 Hrs/day after 2 weeks. PS: I am currently cycling my tank and I will only get the sakura shrimp in 2 weeks.

1) Every 2 Days I have to constantly top up water; Do I still do weekly water change?
2) My temperature can run from 25.5(Celsius) to 28(Celsius); Is this a huge temperature drop/change throughout the day? if so, how do I fix it?

Other questions:
I am using the API Test Kit for my PH, KH, GH but I really don't know what is going on about these water parameters than referring to the average shrimp keeper's water parameters I found online.

Water Parameters:

PH: 7.0
GH: (Drops) 5
KH: (Drops) 2

are my water parameters ok for the shrimps?

Lastly, what do all of you think about bare bottom shrimp tanks and I would also like them to breed.. Please help me. Thank you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lets break some things down here.

1) your fan is causing increased evaporation, which will result in lots of top offs that your experiencing. In this case the water is evaporating, but its not removing the actual stuff in the water. So you will need to do water changes. IF you have too much evaporation you are gonna have a hard time maintaining water quality.

2) Those temperatures are too high for shrimp, even with that pretty big swing in temp. Is it possible to get a window unit AC unit or move to a cooler location? Ideally you want your temp 20-22 Celsius.

7.0 Ph is fine
5 GH is a little low, I would try to get it up to at least 8.
2 KH is on the low end but acceptable.

I breed my cherries in bare bottom tanks without issues.

Where are you at on your cycle?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bet you're talking about Cherry shrimp, sakura grade/pattern, not the Lucensosergia lucens https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakura_shrimp ;)

As for the cherry shrimp, your water parameters are OK (a bit low GH), your temp is a bit high, but you can succeed. I don't know from where are coming your shrimps, but I did succeed myself under these conditions.

Do not try red crystals or any other caridina, they will not afford so high temperatures. To succeed caridinas, I had to buy a tank cooler to keep temperatures under 23° celsius

my .02

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you have a fan which will cause a ton of evaporation you almost certainly need RO water to top off or the parameters will keep rising during the week. Remember the water that evaporates is RO water pretty much so it’s leaving in the tank all the other stuff. So topping off with tap your parameters will rise and not just a little.

As others said get that temp down. Shoot for a constant 25c or lower if possible. Remember stability is key. With constant temp and parameter swings it will be stressful for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.