The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my friend has built a 1900 gallon pond in his backyard specifically for Koi. I'm trying to get him into plants, but his fish are ravenous. So far, they have eaten tons of Water Lettuce, Azurea (anchored Water Hyacinth), C. ciliata, duckweed, and Brazilian Pennywort.

We even thought we had the fish beat when we floated his net, and put the plants in there, but they suck the leaves though the netting, shredding the plants.

Is there a Koi resistant plant, or does anyone have an idea other than a netting barrier to stop the koi from getting to the plants?

TIA

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have koi and goldfish in my pond that has 1 potted lily-like plant. I'm not sure what it is, but they don't do considerable damage. They actually turned over the rocks I had over the bulb and roots in order to nibble on the roots, but it doesn't seem to bother the plant. It is very hardy. It produces lily pads that shoot to the surface. Typically 1 begins growing every morning and by the next day it is a small lilypad on the surface. It is non-flowering, but it still looks nice.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Koi are notorious about that. You know how goldfish are in a planted tank? Koi are to pond plants what goldfish are to tank plants. The only way you can have any kind of lasting success is to put the plants behind a barrier. Some have had some success by making sure the koi are fed WELL at all times, which of course means loads of filtration. Even then some koi still uproot the plants if they're not separated from the main pond.

So, this has led many people to build a koi pond with a planter bed on the side, separated from the main pond by a wall that goes from the bottom to an inch or so below the water line. All plants are planted in that separate area and are safe, save for the leaves that grow past the barrier. I've been planning a koi pond for some years now and have a separate planting area like that in the plans.

Can your friend build something like that into his pond? If not a cement wall, then maybe a wall out of cinder blocks across one corner? Besides the plants obviously taking up excess nutrients, the blocks would double as extra surface area for biological filtration, something you can never get enough of in koi ponds.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It can be done but the only way I've seen it done successfully was to go from planted to planted/koi, never koi to koi/planted. In addition, only success I've had is LOTS of lily plants established before the koi were introduced and then introduce the koi as small fish (2-6"). All the other aquatic plants that I keep are marginals that are planted in river rock in the gravel filters/bogs that adjoin the pond.

Keep Smilin'
John :smile:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all,
I've sent him the floater pot link, and I think we are going to start building a PVC/netted divider. His father has had a lot of luck with this in the past (also gives fry someplace safe to run).
The bad part is, he's a koi guy I'm trying to convert. ;)

With the black liner, painting PVC with a coat of Krylon fusion black (I've used it in my tanks) If we build it at the surface leel, you might not even see it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Focus on the filtration/water quality aspect that the plants add to the pond. ;) Koi people usually are fanatics about water quality (with reason). Maybe that will help convert him? Good luck with it! And if you get a chance and it's not too much trouble, I'd LOVE to see pictures of his pond! If it's a pita, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The surroundings are still a work in progress, but I'll get some pics up.
I'm using the "helps keep algae away", but I'll add water quality.

BTW, his filter back flush is hooked up to a hose that waters his arborvitaes surrounding his property.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe your friend could build a mini pond higher than his original pond. He could plant the mini pond and could also use it as a water fall. That is if he has room for one and if it fits the theme.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I only have 3 lilies in my lower pond (connected by a small fall) and they do not do nearly as well as the lilies in the Koi Free section of the pond. They just like to eat plants, and my guys have had them (plants in the pond) since the very beginning. I giggle when I see people ask how to get rid of duckweed! Why, get Koi of course! :hihi:

A nice option, depending on how the pond is built, is a Lotus. They thrive in shallow (thus warmer) water, and that makes it nearly impossible for the Koi to get at them. Although many Koi ponds do not have shelves, I put a few in my pond to make it easier to climb into and out of in case someone/thing were to fall in, and it's a nice spot to plant a few lilies and lotus too. How deep is your friend's pond? There are also plant stands, in case there are no shelves to place a pot on. HTH!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How deep is your friend's pond? There are also plant stands, in case there are no shelves to place a pot on. HTH!
I'll pass it on about the shelves. Thanks
His pond has a 2' ledge all the way around, then it drops another 2' in the center, so maybe building a plant stand is the best option.

But his pond, and he has quite a few options. This weekend I force him to decide!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.