The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I really need some better lighting and what I'm pretty interested in growing is Riccia Flutains so if anyone could tell me what lighting I should get, that would be great.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Why don't you post some specs on your tank, then we can help recommend something. A high-tech, co2 injected tank will use a different light than a low-tech tank would.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now, my tank is completely stock. It has the stock filter, heater, and the lighting is just 15w flourescent.

I was thinking of going CO2 injection if I got better lighting.

I went down to petco today and they have a 50/50 compact floruescent CoralLife lighting hood with 2 bulbs for 90 bucks. I was wondering if this would be good enough?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dr foster Smith is having a 25% off sale on some of their lighting including the Nova extreme with single lamp reflectors. It's a 24x2 T5HO fixture so if you are planning on CO2 injection I would recommend this fixture and it's a steal at $65!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I own the fixture jaybugg13 mentioned, (using it right now to grow a 20H emmersed setup) its a great fixture for the price. I'd look at T5HO rather than compact fluorescent... you can use less power to get more light. A bit of advice, if you plan on going with pressurized co2, get it before you get your light. Putting lots of light on a tank with no co2 is a good way to get frustrated with this hobby quickly. I'd recommend talking to Orlando at Green Leaf Aquariums. I just bought a regulator from him, it was well worth the money spent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have two questions that go in the exact opposite way :D :

1. Will the nova extreme t5 HO 24w x 2 be enough light for most freshwater plants in a 20g?

2. Could a t5 be too intense for a 20g tank?

Thanks for all your help guys :D

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have two questions that go in the exact opposite way :D :

1. Will the nova extreme t5 HO 24w x 2 be enough light for most freshwater plants in a 20g?

2. Could a t5 be too intense for a 20g tank?

Thanks for all your help guys :D
1. Yes
2. Yes, but if you suspend the light fixture above the tank, so you can raise or lower it, you can adjust the intensity to whatever you want.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dr foster Smith is having a 25% off sale on some of their lighting including the Nova extreme with single lamp reflectors. It's a 24x2 T5HO fixture so if you are planning on CO2 injection I would recommend this fixture and it's a steal at $65!
i got one from petsolutions.com for $61.00 including shipping. google petsolutions.com coupons; i got a $5 off coupon. i don't order from dfs because they double the shipping costs to alaska and hawaii (where i live).

just a heads up on this fixture, though. i had the same problem as a few others did with the bulb holders being too far apart to keep the bulbs firmly in place. easy enough to fix, but build quality is suspect. also, i had to use a mallet to get one set of legs on, while the other set slides on too easily, resulting in a lot of side to side movement. it also doesn't have the metal slide out brackets to fit longer tanks, as pictured in the catalog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
WEll i have a 29 gallon and its the same length as a 20 gallon long. I bought a current like fixture 65w on ebay for 20 bucks 2 months ago. I woundnt use t5 HO because it will heat ur water and you will need a chiller. I would go with a 65w current 30" fixture. Has great reflectors (better then coralife) but the only complaint i have is the fan is a little noisy. (maybe cuz its used but it doesnt bother me and its in my bedroom.) overall i would give it a A-

for a 20 long since its shorter and ur getting 3wpg you will be able to grow almost everything

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you want to spend a little bit more money I got the Dual Compact system from Fosters and it's GREAT. 130 watts of lighting and if you pair it with some Co2 and dosing you'll be stunned as to how fast your plants grow. Mine have grown like wildfire over the past week since I hooked up Co2. The light system is built great and has a nice lunar light on it also. All of the lights have seperate plugs in so you can time each individual light also. Love this thing! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13637&pcatid=13637&s=lh

·
Registered
376 Posts
I woundnt use t5 HO because it will heat ur water and you will need a chiller.
Not true at all. perhaps you are thinking of HQI or Metal Halide lighting? T5HO typically runs cooler than Compact Flourescents do. My temps on a 24 gallon dropped 3-4 degrees by switching from a CFL to T5HO, with slighty more wattage on it. (40w CFL, 48w T5HO)

Also, in regards to this fixture, I'm going to disagree with Hoppy on intensity. A high quality SLR will put out tons of light, but the nova reflectors are not super high quality. I built a custom light today with 2 ice cap SLR reflectors. I put both the new custom light and the old nova extreme (with new bulbs) over the 20 gallon, and I'm not exaggerating when I say I get twice as much light from the custom fixture, with the same wattage.

I think the 2x24 nova over a 20 gallon lands you firmly in the medium light category. Which is a good place to start. :icon_wink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts