The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some quite aggressive fish in my tank but lately fish have been disappearing and I mean completely vanishing no traces. I have the following fish those in bold have vanished:
(1) Mono
(1) Mono
(1) Firemouth
(1) White Convict
(1) Black Convict
(1) Chinese Algae Eater
(1) Siamese Algae Eater
(2) Pictus Cats
(1) Spotted Green Puffer
There is no where for them to hide I can see in between all my plants and my drift wood doesn't allow for anyone to hide underneath. I feed my fish every other day and they are really aggressive when it comes to food especially the cats. So I know some of them have not been getting enough food and become weaker. Is it possible any of the remaining fish are eating these fish? My water parameters are perfect, my tank is fully covered and there is no way for them to get into the filter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do get some food but you can tell their not the dominant fish in the tank. But is it possible for a fish to be eaten to the point where there are no signs of them I mean my convict and mono where quite large.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Coming from a cichlid background, if you have 20G with all those fish you are asking for trouble as the fish mature.

Two Convicts, if one is a male in that size tank will kill any and all tankmates. Chances are you had two males and one killed the other. Even females will be aggressive in that size tank. Firemouths are not pushovers either.

Monos, Algae eaters, and Pictus have no way of defending themselves from an aggressive new world cichlid.

Chances are the Convict or Firemouth are killing fish and then the other fish are picking it clean.

As mentioned above, Monos and Puffers are going to require brackish conditions as they mature as well, which is hard on plants.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone I have always had planted tanks and never had fish in them this is my first planted/inhabited tank. I've been told before that these fish are going to have problems together by people on the board. I stupidly trusted my local fish store on what could go into the tank. I guess my problem is getting rid of the fish. The LFS I got them from will take them back as a donation no store credit which I will not do since they sold them to me knowing they cant go together but I feel bad to just toss them away. Any help would be awesome on ideas. Cant afford a bigger tank.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Give them to a different store. With that assortment of fish you may never have a tank you can enjoy.

SteveU

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had a fish (rummynose) disappear yesterday, but I found him in my Eheim when I was cleaning it out. I took the intake screen off for 1 minute to clean off the debris and noticed the rummynoses circling around it...of course one had to get sucked up.

He's alive and doing well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.